Oven Baked Apple Chips – a healthy and delicious snack that everyone loves! And it’s so easy to make!
BAKED APPLE CHIPS
Apples are a staple in our house, for munching on while reading books, as a great snack for the kids while running errands and of course, perfect for my baking projects. If there is one apple treat I remember well from my childhood is my Grandma’s apple chips. She made the best ones and always had a bag of them for us when we came to visit! Now, I make apple chips for my kiddos and they love them. It’s a healthy snack that I feel good about giving to my kids.
How to make Baked Apple Chips?
- Wash and slice apples very thin. Arrange slices on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- If desired, sprinkle with cinnamon.
- Bake apple chips in 220 degrees F oven for 1 hr 20 minutes, flip each slice onto the other side and bake another 20 minutes.
- Turn off oven and leave chips inside for another hour, until chips are dry.
What type of apple should I use?
You can use any type of apple to make these chips. Popular ones include Granny Smith, Fuji, Gala or Honeycrisp.
Tip for making the best Apple Chips:
The only tip here is to make the slices really thin. They will bake quicker and be nice and crispy. Also, I recommend coring the apples before slicing. My kids definitely like the cored apple chips better. You can sprinkle the apple chips with cinnamon sugar just before baking or just baked the slices plain.
Can I use my dehydrator to make these Apple Chips?
Yes, if you have a dehydrator, you can use it to make crisp apple chips. Set it to 135 degrees F, and dehydrate apple slices for 6 to 8 hours.
How long does it take to make baked apple chips?
The total time, from slicing to ready chips, in this recipe is about 3 hours. If you are using a dehydrator, it will take 6 to 8 hours.
More delicious recipes with apples:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet or #crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out!
A healthy and delicious snack that everyone loves! And it's so easy to make!
- 2 apples I used gala
- 2 Tablespoons of granulated sugar
- 1 tsp ground cinnamon
- Preheat oven to 220 degrees F.
- Line two large baking sheets with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Slice apples thin.
- Arrange slices on prepared baking sheets.
- Bake for 1 hour and 20 minutes. Flip the chips onto the other side and bake for 20 minutes more.
- Turn off the oven and leave the apple chips inside for another hour, with the door closed.
- The chips should be dry but they will dry even more as they cool after they are removed from the oven.
- Store in an air-tight container.
This post was originally published on September 23rd, 2015 and updated on June 4th, 2019.