Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe - creamy and filling soup with chicken, wild rice and vegetables. Quick to prepare and cook in your slow cooker!
SLOW COOKER CHICKEN WILD RICE SOUP
Like this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Packed with vegetables, chicken and rice it's a perfect meal for a cold winter day. All I need to do is place everything in a slow cooker and let it do its work. After a few hours, thicken the soup with milk and cornstarch mixture to make it creamy and even more delicious.
This soup is good for you and for your soul. Thick and creamy soups are my and my family's favorite. This one is packed with chicken, wild rice (although just long grain rice will work fine too), carrots, celery and onion. I think mushrooms would be a great addition but my kiddos don't like them in soups so I skipped them.
I use my slow cooker every week and having it filled with a delicious soup is what I love during the cold months. It's such a comfort to come home after running errands or playing in the snow to a bowl full of hot and filling soup.
What do you need to make this soup (your shopping list):
- wild rice or wild rice mix
- boneless skinless chicken breast
- yellow onion
- chicken broth
- Italian seasoning
- milk or half and half
How to make Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup?
- Place chicken, vegetables, rice and seasoning in your slow cooker.
- Add liquids and close the lid.
- Cook on LOW for 7 hours or on HIGH for 4 hours.
- Whisk milk and cornstarch in a small bowl.
- In a saucepan, melt butter and whisk in milk mixture.
- Simmer until it thickens.
- Add to the soup and stir well.
Can I freeze this soup?
Yes, you can make this soup, cool completely and freeze for up to 3 months. Thaw out and heat up in a soup pot.
How can I make Chicken Wild Rice Soup in an Instant Pot?
- Start by cooking diced chicken with seasoning on saute setting.
- Add vegetables and stir in. Cook for 2 minutes.
- Add liquids and rice.
- Cook on manual setting for 4 minutes. Let the pressure release naturally for 10 minutes, then do quick release.
- Stir in cornstarch mixture. The soup should thicken quickly.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
More Soup recipes:
Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup
- ¾ cup wild rice uncooked
- 1 lb chicken breast
- ¾ cup chopped carrots
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- ¾ cup chopped celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- ¼ cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- Add chicken, vegetables, rice and seasoning to slow cooker. Add chicken broth and water. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours on HIGH setting or 7 to 8 hours on LOW setting.
- When chicken is done, remove from slow cooker onto a plate. Shred. Return to slow cooker.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add milk and cornstarch. Whisk and cook until thickens, about 7 minutes. Add mixture to soup in slow cooker and stir well. Add more water if needed.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or croutons. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.