Peppermint Candy Cane Sugar Cookies – fun and delicious sugar cookies with a shortcut! Add a fun twist to the classic sugar cookie and spend more time having fun decorating and devouring these traditional holiday treats!
As soon as the Christmas tree was placed on it’s honorable spot of our living room, our kids were taken over by the excitement and anticipation of Christmas! They hang their favorite ornaments, we read “The Night Before Christmas” in front of the tree almost every evening, they are working on their wish lists and draft their lists to Santa. Aside from making their wish list, our kids have been brainstorming a serious issue lately. What cookies should they leave for Santa this year?
Every year, they leave a plate of cookies and a glass of milk on the fire place. They are so excited when they find only crumbs left in the morning! So far, Santa enjoyed our oatmeal raisin cookies and our favorite chocolate chip cookies. When Betty Crocker asked us to celebrate the holidays and join the #GetYourBettyOn campaign and sent a package full of their cookie mixes and frosting – our kids jumped from excitement! They knew what they will leave on a cookie plate for Santa!
I think one of the most fun holiday cookies and inadvertently, the most popular one – is the sugar cut out cookie. It’s all about turning a delicious cookie dough into fun, holiday themed shapes and decorating them. The preparation is as fun as devouring the treats! Thanks to Betty, it’s as easy as can be! No need to make a cookie dough from scratch and chill it overnight. The Sugar Cookie mix helps you stir up a dough in minutes and let you spent more time having fun decorating the cookies.
To jazz up the cookie mix, we added few drops of peppermint extract to the dough. After the cookies baked and cooled, we frosted them with Betty Crocker’s vanilla frosting and decorated with crushed candy canes.
- 1 pkg Betty Crocker Sugar Cookie Mix
- 1 Tablespoon all-purpose flour
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter soft
- 1/2 cup Betty Crocker Rich & Creamy Vanilla Frosting
- 3 candy canes crushed
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line two baking sheets with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, stir together egg, butter, cookie mix and flour.
- Place a sheet of parchment paper on a flat surface (countertop, large cutting board, etc.).
- Place dough onto the paper. Place another sheet of parchment paper on top.
- Roll out the dough to 1/4" thick disk. If the dough is too sticky, chill for 20 minutes.
- Cut out cookies with cookie cutters.
- Place cookies on a parchment paper lined baking sheet.
- Bake for 8 to 10 minutes or until the edges are golden brown and the cookies are set.
- Cool cookies for 2 minutes on sheet, then transfer onto a cooing rack to cool completely.
- Spread thin layer of vanilla frosting on each cookie.
- Sprinkle crushed candy canes over the frosting.
These cookies are so butter and have a fantastic peppermint flavor. Using the vanilla frosting is so much easier than using a royal icing. At least for me, since I do not have the patience or talent for royal icing.