Pepper Jack Mac and Cheese – creamy macaroni with Pepper Jack sauce! Classic dish that everyone loves, with a little kick.
PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE
When you think classic comfort food, mac and cheese is most likely to be on top of the list. I make my Instant Pot Mac and Cheese almost every week. Make it homemade, with a creamy cheese sauce and a little bit of kick from the Pepper Jack cheese and jalapenos and sprinkle with a crunchy topping – you just took the mac and cheese to a whole new level. Another favorite is my Queso Mac and Cheese with Bacon. So good!!
It all starts with a white sauce base that every home cook needs to know how to make. Once you master this sauce – you will be using it in many dishes. It’s super easy but there is a secret to it.
HOW TO MAKE PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE?
It’s good to have all the ingredients ready and close to the stove.
- Melt the butter in the skillet, then add the flour. It will quickly absorb the butter and start to bubble. Cook it for 30 to 40 seconds.
- Next (and this is the secret) you add the milk, 1/4 of a cup at a time, SLOWLY drizzling it into the flour mixture. Whisk until the mixture thickens. Repeat until you use all the milk.
- Now it’s time to add the cheese and stir it all up until the cheese melts into the milk mixture. Season to taste.
- You just made a creamy cheese sauce! At this point you can add anything you would like in your mac and cheese. Veggies, meat – anything goes!
- Stir it all up to coat everything in the sauce.
- Your mac and cheese is ready! I added a crunchy topping just for fun and texture. The jalapeno slices were my Hubby’s request. 🙂
MORE MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES:
PEPPER JACK MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE:
- 4 oz macaroni pasta uncooked
- 1.5 Tbsp unsalted or salted butter
- 1.5 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1.5 c whole milk
- 1.5 c grated Pepper Jack cheese
- salt and pepper to taste
- 1/2 tsp crushed red peppers
- 3 Tbsp salted butter
- 1/4 c breadcrumbs
- 3/4 c crushed tortilla chips
- slices jalapeno
Cook macaroni according to the instructions on the package. Drain, let sit covered.
In a large skillet (I used 11" cast iron skillet), melt butter.
Add flour and whisk it in. Cook for 30 to 40 seconds on medium heat, until the flour absorbs the butter and bubbles up.
Gradually add milk, slowly pouring 1/4 of a cup at a time, letting the sauce thicken after each addition. Repeat until all milk is added.
Add cheese and stir in with a wooden spoon until the cheese is melted.
Add macaroni and stir in until all macaroni is coated with creamy cheese sauce.
Add salt, pepper and crushed red peppers.
Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
In a large mixing cup, stir together melted butter, breadcrumbs and crushed tortilla chips. Sprinkle over the mac and cheese.
Place in the oven and bake for 8 to 10 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the edges start to bubble.
Garnish with jalapeno slices.
Let sit 5 minutes.
Recipe source: CrunchyCreamySweet.com