Peach Galette aka Lazy Pie with imperfect edges, yet delicious and so easy to make!
If you are not a pie maker like me, you will love this super easy rustic pie called “galette”. The crust is not supposed to be perfectly formed, with cute wavy edges but rustic, edgy and a little rough. The fruit filling is encased inside and made from fresh peaches with a bit of sugar and cornstarch. This Peach Galette is the perfect lazy dessert for Summer!
HOW TO MAKE GALETTE CRUST?
I didn’t change it a single bit from the original recipe, simply because I didn’t trust my pie-making abilities. But once I starting forming the dough I figured out a trick to make the overlaps easily. Instead of rolling the dough out on a floured surface, I kept it on the same piece of aluminum foil I wrapped it in to chill it. I rolled it out, having my standard 8″ pie dish as a guide and adding about 4 inches in diameter. To make the folded edges, I simply lifted up the foil and overlapped the dough peeling the foil off. Then just slide the foil with galette on it right onto your baking sheet and bake. Easy!
PEACH GALETTE aka RUSTIC PIE RECIPE:
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 tsp granulated sugar
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/2 c butter cubed and chilled
- 4 Tbsp ice water
- 2 slices large peaches pitted and sliced into 1/4"
- 3 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp all- purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 tsp butter
- for egg wash:
- 1 large egg
- 2 - 3 Tbsp granulated sugar for sprinkling
- To make the crust: place all dry ingredients ( flour, sugar and salt ) in food processor and pulse few times.
- Add chilled butter and pulse until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs.
- Drizzle in the ice water, until you will see the dough forming.
- Turn your dough onto a surface, lightly dusted with cornstarch. This will help with stickiness without adding more flour to the dough and making it tough later.
- Do not knead the dough, but gently form into a round disk.
- Place on a large piece of parchment paper or aluminum foil and wrap it in it.
- Chill in refrigerator for an hour.
- In the meantime, make the filling: place sliced peaches in a medium mixing bowl, sprinkle with flour and sugar.
- Gently toss to coat.
- Drizzle with vanilla extract. Set aside.
- Preheat your oven to 425 degrees and place the rack on the middle position.
- Take your dough out of the refrigerator and uncover but keep it on the paper.
- Roll it out into a circle slightly bigger than your standard 8" pie dish.
- Place the filling in the center, arranging the slices as desired.
- Place pieces of the additional teaspoon of butter on top of the filling.
- Lift the edges of your crust and overlap. You can slightly lift the paper up and fold the crust, making sure not to cover the filling entirely.
- Brush the edges with egg wash and sprinkle with sugar.
- Brush the visible peach filling. Note: You will have some egg leftover.
- Place the paper with your galette on a baking sheet.
- Bake for 18 - 22 minutes, until the edges are nice and golden brown.
- Let the galette cool on a baking sheet for few minutes, then carefully slide the paper with it onto a cutting board. Cool additional 15 minutes.
- Slice and serve dusted with powdered sugar or vanilla ice cream.