This No Yeast Bread is made with just 6 ingredients found in your pantry. Thanks to baking soda, it rises perfectly, even without yeast. You can make a loaf easily in 40 minutes and enjoy a warm slice with soup, pasta or as a sandwich.
Even if you don't have yeast, you can make a delicious loaf of bread, known also as Soda Bread.
Baking bread without yeast is possible! This delicious golden loaf is the proof. The method is the same as for making a baking soda bread, which helps it rise since there is no yeast in the dough. The texture is dense and more crumbly, not fluffy and airy like yeast bread, so keep that in mind. It does not require kneading, just pressing the dough together enough to form a round disc. I am obsessed with this bread! You can easily whip up a few loaves in no time and share with friends and family.
- all-purpose flour
- baking soda
- granulated sugar
- buttermilk (see recipe below for the homemade version)
How to make bread without yeast?
This bread does not require kneading or rising since we are not using yeast. Simply combine all ingredients.
- Whisk dry ingredients together.
- Make buttermilk with half and half or whole milk and vinegar or lemon juice, and whisk with egg and melted butter.
- Stir everything together into a sticky dough.
- Place dough on a floured surface and form into a round. It does not need to be perfect. Score with a knife on top.
- Place dough in a round cake pan or a cast iron pan.
- Bake until golden brown, about 35 to 40 minutes, in 400 degrees F oven.
- whole wheat: use 2 1/2 cup of all-purpose flour and 3/4 cup of whole wheat flour.
- sugar-free: use honey instead of sugar.
- cheese: add 1 cup of shredded cheddar or other sharp cheese to the dough before forming and baking.
- garlic and herbs: add 1 teaspoon of minced garlic and 1 teaspoon of herbs of your choice (Italian seasoning, oregano, dill, etc.)
- cinnamon and raisin: add 1 teaspoon of ground cinnamon and 1/4 cup of raisins
To keep the bread fresh longer and prevent drying, wrap it in a plastic wrap or place in a bread bag and store in a pantry or on the counter.
You can also freeze it in a freezer-safe bag for up to 3 months.
More bread recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
No Yeast Bread
- 3 1/4 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 3/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 tablespoon granulated sugar
- 1 cup buttermilk see note
- 1 large egg beaten
- 3 tablespoons butter melted
- Preheat the oven to 400 degrees F.
- Prepare a 9" to 10" round cake pan or a cast iron skillet.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, soda, salt and sugar.
- In another mixing bowl or a large measuring cup, whisk buttermilk, egg and melted (and cooled) butter.
- Pour the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon. The dough will be sticky.
- Place the dough onto a floured surface and into a round disk, about 8" in diameter.
- Place the dough in prepared pan. Score the top with a knife to make an X.
- Bake for 35 to 40 minutes or until the top is golden brown.
- Cool bread before slicing.
- To make homemade buttermilk, pour 1 tablespoon of apple cider vinegar, white vinegar or even lemon juice into a cup. Add enough half and half or whole milk to make 1 cup of liquid. Let it sit for 5 minutes to sour. Use in the recipe.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.