The Molasses Cookies are the quintessential holiday cookies with all the best of holiday flavors: molasses, ginger and cinnamon!
When the holidays approach, I plan what cookies will make an appearance on our dessert platters. Molasses cookies are a must because they just scream Christmas to me! Just like my Perfect Sugar Cookies. They just need to happen.
These cookies have crispy edges and chewy center. They are full of delicious molasses flavor and the addition of cinnamon and ginger. The quintessential holiday cookie.
How do they taste?
These cookies have distinctive flavor thanks to molasses. They are rich, sweet and will remind you of gingerbread treats.
More Cookies Recipes:
Lemon White Chocolate Chip Cookies
MOLASSES COOKIES RECIPE:
Molasses Cookies recipe
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 teaspoon baking soda
- ¼ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon ground ginger
- ¾ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- ½ teaspoon ground cloves
- 5 ¼ tablespoon unsalted butter room temperature
- ¼ cup granulated sugar
- ¼ cup brown sugar
- 1 egg yolk
- ½ teaspoon vanilla extract
- ⅓ cup unsulphured molasses
- Line cookie sheet with silpat, parchment paper or aluminum foil. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients ( flour, soda, salt, ginger, cinnamon and cloves ). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, beat butter for 30 seconds. Add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg yolk, vanilla and molasses and beat until combined.
- Add dry ingredients and fold in until incorporated. Cover the dough and refrigerate for at least 30 minutes.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Scoop the dough into a teaspoon size balls and roll in sugar. Place dough balls on prepared sheet. Do not flatten!
- Bake for 8 minutes. Let cool on the sheet for 1 minute. Gently transfer onto a cooling rack.
Lol - I can't believe it's that warm where you are! I shouldn't complain though - it's cold in Vancouver but we're not getting the several feet of snow that our neighbours in Alberta are getting. Just typical rainy Vancouver weather here. These cookies look perfect. Too bad no one I know likes molasses cookies (crazy, right?!) - I'll just have to eat whatever I bake all by my lonesome!
I just know you guys will love them! Thank you, Stephanie!
We should make them all year long! They are too good to enjoy them only once a year. Thanks, Jen! 🙂
Curry and Comfort says
These look perfect. Crispy and chewy... now that's what every cookie should be. 🙂
Agreed! 🙂 Thank you, Ramona!
Paula @ Vintage Kitchen says
It is the season for molasses! Beautiful cookies Anna! Enjoy the mild winter
Thank you, Paula! That's my plan. 🙂