Mint Cheesecake Bars Recipe – thick and creamy cheesecake bars with refreshing mint flavor and chocolatey Oreo crust. So easy, you will love each and every bite!
If you ever ask me, what is my favorite dessert to make for any holiday, I will always say cheesecake. My love for this dessert runs deep and it has been visible on the pages of this blog. So much so, that questions about cheesecake are the most popular I receive from you, the readers. It makes me so happy to get them and to know you love cheesecake as much as I do.
Cheesecake (in any form) is my family’s favorite dessert. It is the first dessert I made for my Hubby when were were still dating. I always make it for his birthday. He will never pass on a good creamy slice of cheesecake, especially topped with caramel and chopped pecans. : )
Since Spring is in full bloom here in Kansas, I am all about fresh, Spring flavors in my dishes and desserts. Lemon poppy seed muffins anyone? Or maybe a creamy asparagus pasta? How about refreshing mint cheesecake bars on Oreo crust. Yes, please! Creamy mint bars on chocolate crust – what a delicious combo!
These bars are baked in a 8″ square pan and come out perfectly thick. You can definitely bake them in 13″ x 9″ pan and they will come out thinner, just like my Lemon Raspberry Cheesecake bars that you can see below. This recipe is really easy and you can whip it up in the evening and let them refrigerate overnight to set perfectly.
To get the green hue, I used regular food coloring (liquid, not gel) and used 10 drops. It still came out pretty light. If you use gel coloring, you may need less. Add two drops at a time until you get the the desired color, just remember that the color will intensify while baking.
For the mint flavor, I used peppermint extract. I used 3/4 teaspoon to get a nice refreshing flavor, without overpowering each slice.
For the crust, I used 14 Oreos. I never scrape the filling off, but instead blend it all in a food processor with an addition of melted butter. After just 10 minutes in the oven the crust is ready for the filling. It takes 10 minutes to mix up the ingredients for it so the timing is perfect.
Easy cheesecake bars with Oreo cookie crust, dyed green to represent the mint flavor.
- 14 Oreos regular
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter melted
- 16 oz cream cheese softened
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 4 Tablespoons sour cream
- 4 Tablespoons all-purpose flour
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 3/4 teaspoon peppermint extract
- 2 large eggs
- green food coloring optional
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line an 8" square baking pan (greased) with parchment paper. Set aside.
- To make the crust:
- Place Oreos in food processor (a small one works just fine) and blend until fine. Add melted butter and blend until it comes together.
- Press the Oreo crust mixture into the bottom of the pan.
- Bake crust for 10 minutes.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer for 30 seconds, until creamy.
- Add sugar and mix in well.
- Add sour cream, flour and both extracts. Mix in well.
- Add eggs and mix in well.
- Add food coloring if desired and mix in.
- Pour filling over crust. Tap the pan against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake cheesecake bars for 33 to 35 minutes.
- Remove from the oven and cool in pan completely.
- Remove from pan and chill in fridge for at least 2 hours, preferably overnight.
- Slice and serve.