Greek Meatballs aka Keftedes are made with ground lamb (or beef, turkey, etc.) and seasoned to perfection. Serve these juicy meatballs with Tzatziki Sauce or simple tomato sauce.
Step away from the classic Italian dish and make these quick and easy meatballs with a Mediterranean flair. These juicy and flavorful meatballs are made with ground lamb but can be made with lean beef or even turkey. You can bake them in the oven or fry in a skillet. They are delicious served with a classic cucumber garlic sauce for an appetizer or tomato sauce and pasta for dinner.
- ground lamb (or lean beef)
- sweet or yellow onion
- parsley, mint
- Italian seasoning
- dried oregano
- ground cumin
Step by step instructions:
Step 1: meat mixture
Combine ground meat, onion, garlic and seasoning in a large mixing bowl. Add egg, breadcrumbs and chopped parsley and mint.
Scoop out the meat mixture into tablespoon-size balls and bake or fry in a pan.
- bake: place meatballs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and cook in 400 degrees F oven for 15 to 18 minutes.
- fry in a pan: heat up olive oil in a skillet and fry meatballs on every side for 2 to 3 minutes or until done.
What to serve with it?
One of the most popular ways to serve Greek meatballs is with Tzatziki Sauce. You can make a delicious meal by placing the meatballs in pita bread, along with fresh tomato slices, red onion and a drizzle of Tzatziki sauce.
Another way to serve these meatballs is with tomato sauce. Add black olives, fresh oregano and a sprinkling of feta cheese for more Greek flavors!
These meatballs can be frozen raw or cooked.
- raw: form meatballs, then place on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet. Freeze completely, then place in a freezer-safe bag or a container and keep in the freezer for up to 6 months.
- cooked: cook meatballs and cool completely. Freeze on a lined baking sheet, then store in a freezer-safe container for up to 6 months.
Thaw meatballs in the fridge, then cook or heat up.
Are these meatballs keto-friendly?
To make these meatballs good for the keto diet, you need to replace the breadcrumbs with a carb-free ingredient, like crushed pork rinds.
More recipes with Mediterranean flavors:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
- 1 lb ground lamb see note
- ¼ cup grated onion
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 2 teaspoons dried oregano
- ½ teaspoon ground cumin
- ¼ teaspoon coriander
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 large egg
- ½ cup breadcrumbs
- ¼ cup parsley
- 1 tablespoon mint leaves optional
- Place ground meat in a large mixing bowl. Add grated onion, garlic and seasoning. Mix well.
- Add egg, breadcrumbs, parsley and mint. Mix well.
- Form meat mixture into tablespoon-size balls.
- To fry on the pan, heat up olive oil in a large skillet. Fry each meatball for 3 to 4 minutes on each side.
- To bake in the oven, preheat oven to 400 degrees F, place meatballs on a parchment paper-lined baking sheet and bake for 15 to 18 minutes, turning each meatball halfway through baking time.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
- You can use lean ground beef or turkey in this recipe.