These Homemade Fish Sticks are so easy to make! They are crunchy and delicious so you can forget the store-bought stuff! You only need 4 ingredients to make them.
Serve these with my homemade Tartar Sauce and devour.
HOMEMADE FISH STICKS
Have you ever wondered how to make homemade fish sticks that are flaky on the inside and crispy on the outside? Look no more! My recipe is simple and makes the best fish sticks ever! Forget about the frozen stuff from the store, because you only need 4 ingredients to make these (plus seasoning). We love them with Tartar Sauce or served like my Air Fryer Chicken Nuggets, that our kids love.
How to Make the Best Homemade Fish Sticks?
- Start by cutting fish fillet into ¾" wide strips.
- Prepare the breading station in three shallow dishes: one with flour, one with egg and one with breadcrumbs.
- Dip each fish piece into flour first, then egg, then breadcrumbs.
- Fry or bake until golden brown.
What do you need to make homemade fish sticks?
- white firm fish fillets
- seasoning (salt, pepper, Italian seasoning, garlic powder, Cajun seasoning, lemon pepper mix, etc.)
Homemade Fish Sticks variations:
- bake them instead of frying: preheat oven to 375 degrees F and bake fish sticks for 15 to 18 minutes.
- use panko or crushed corn flakes for even crispier fish sticks
- gluten-free: use my homemade rice flour instead of breadcrumbs (skip regular flour step too)
- egg-free: use melted butter or olive oil instead.
What Fish can I use to make Homemade Fish Sticks?
Any white firm fish will work: cod, catfish, halibut even tilapia.
Can I make these Fish Stick ahead of time?
Yes, you can bread the fish pieces and fry them (or bake them), cool completely and freeze on a parchment paper lined baking sheet. Then transfer into a freezer-safe bag and freeze for up to 1 month.
More recipes like this:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
HOMEMADE FISH STICKS RECIPE:
Homemade Fish Sticks Recipe
- 2 white fish fillets tilapia, cod, catfish, etc.
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 large egg
- 2 tablespoons half and half
- ¼ cup all-purpose flour
- ⅓ cup plain breadcrumbs
- ¼ teaspoon garlic powder
- ¼ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ cup vegetable oil for frying in pan (see note for baking)
- Slice fillets into ¾" wide pieces.
- Prepare breading station: in one shallow dish, whisk egg and half and half; in another dish, place flour; in the last dish, combine breadcrumbs with garlic powder and Italian seasoning.
- Season fish pieces with salt and pepper.
- Dip each fish stick in flour first, then egg mixture, then finally in breadcrumbs. Coat evenly, shake of excess. Repeat with all fish pieces. Set them on a plate next to stove. Prepare another plate with a paper towel.
- To fry in pan: heat up vegetable oil in pan. Fry fish sticks in batches, until golden brown. Remove onto paper towel lined plate to absorb excess oil.
- To bake: preheat oven to 375 degrees F. Bake fish sticks on parchment paper lined baking sheet for 15 to 18 minutes.