Seriously delicious Gluten Free Chicken Nuggets baked in the oven or air fryer are made with super easy homemade rice flour! You have to try it!
Who knew that a simple mix of rice flour and seasoning can make a delicious, crunchy gluten-free breading for chicken nuggets? I was mind-blown to find that out! And of course, as usual, I had to make this as easy as possible, so I set out to see if I can make the rice flour myself, without buying it. Indeed I can!! All I needed was my blender.
These Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets are so easy to make and an absolute hit with my whole family! Just look at that coating. Crispy, golden and delicious!
HOW TO MAKE GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS?
Start with slicing a boneless skinless chicken breast into 1/2″ slices, then each slice into 2 to 3 nuggets. Next, in a small bowl, melt butter. In another bowl, whisk together rice flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper. Dip each chicken nugget in butter and then in flour mixture. Place on a baking sheet. Bake nuggets for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. If you are using an air fryer, like I did, set the temperature to 390 degrees F. Air fry for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden.
Classic breading is made by dipping each piece of meat or vegetable in wet ingredients and then in dry ingredients. I tested this recipe with eggs and with butter. The nuggets dipped in eggs came out dry and stuck to the pan. The nuggets dipped in butter were juicy, golden and didn’t stick to the pan. Therefore, I recommend using melted unsalted butter or you can try olive oil too.
HOW TO MAKE RICE FLOUR AT HOME?
I was super excited to find out that I can make rice flour myself, in my kitchen, without trying to find it in the store and let’s face it, pay too much for it. All I had to do is pull out my blender. It took less than 10 seconds for the rice to be blended into a fine flour! #winning
1 cup of rice grain = approx. 1.5 cups of rice flour (this will depend on how fine you will blend it)
Rice flour can be used in place of wheat flour in baking, to make a breading for meat or vegetables, in pancakes, as a thickener for stews and soups, etc.
We don’t have a gluten-free only diet but I love trying various recipes, especially if I can make something my family loves, healthier. My Air-Fryer Chicken Nuggets were a huge hit and this gluten-free version is equally fantastic!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
GLUTEN-FREE CHICKEN NUGGETS (MADE WITH HOMEMADE RICE FLOUR) RECIPE
Gluten-Free Chicken Nuggets (with homemade rice flour) recipe
- 1 large boneless skinless chicken breast
- 1/2 cup unsalted butter melted
- 1/2 cup rice flour See note how to make it
- 1/2 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground paprika
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- Preheat oven to 390 degrees F or an air fryer to 390 degrees F.
- Slice chicken breast into 1/2" slices, then each slice into 2 to 3 nuggets.
- In a small bowl, melt butter. In another bowl, whisk together rice flour, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper.
- Dip each chicken nugget in butter and then in flour mixture. Place on parchment paper lined baking sheet OR air fryer basket.
- Bake nuggets for 15 to 18 minutes or until golden brown. Air-fry for 7 to 8 minutes or until golden.