Creamy Broccoli with Bacon - your new favorite side dish! Steamed broccoli baked in creamy Parmesan sauce and bacon comes together in just 30 minutes.
This creamy broccoli side dish will turn you into a broccoli fan! My whole family devoured it in no time. It's very easy to make and can be served over rice, pasta, with roasted or rotisserie chicken. You can add cooked gnocchi or tortellini just before topping with cheese and baking. You will love the creamy garlic sauce and the cheese topping with bacon. This dish is easy and flavorful and bound to become a hit!
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- fresh broccoli
- Parmesan cheese
- mozzarella cheese
- half and half
- salt and pepper
- Italian seasoning
Step by step instructions:
This dish is very easy to make and requires only one skillet and one bowl. Cook broccoli in the microwave and make the sauce and bake the dish in the cast iron skillet.
Step 1: broccoli
Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl, cover with water and cook for 2 minutes. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Drain and set aside.
Step 2: bacon
Chop bacon and fry in skillet until crispy. Remove onto a plate and drain the grease from skillet.
Step 3: the sauce
Melt butter in skillet. Add garlic and onion and saute for 3 to 4 minutes. Add half and half whisked with cornstarch and simmer until the sauce thickens. Add salt, pepper, Italian seasoning and dried parsley. Stir everything together.
Step 4: assembly
Add broccoli and half of cooked bacon to the sauce and stir.
Step 5: top and bake
Sprinkle mozzarella and Parmesan over the broccoli. Top it with remaining bacon and bake until bubbly.
- steam the veggie: while you can saute fresh broccoli florets with onion and garlic in the skillet, it will be harder and chewier. Steaming or cooking the broccoli for just 3 minutes in the microwave, softens it and gives it the perfect texture for this creamy skillet. If you are cooking for a family with kids, it will be a preferred texture.
- cornstarch: while you can use all-purpose flour, I always recommend cornstarch for making sauces. It gives them a perfectly smooth texture, without clumps. It also makes the sauce gluten-free.
- skillet: while you can make this recipe in any baking dish, I recommend oven-safe cast iron skillet, because you can make the sauce and bake the dish in one vessel. Fewer dishes to clean up!
Can I use other vegetables to make this dish?
Absolutely! You can use cauliflower, carrots, Brussels sprouts, etc. The creamy Parmesan sauce is delicious with many other veggies.
More recipes with broccoli:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Creamy Broccoli with Bacon
- 4 cups fresh broccoli florets
- 5 slices of bacon chopped roughly
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- ½ medium onion chopped
- ½ teaspoon Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon dried parsley
- 1 cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ¼ cup grated Parmesan cheese
- Place broccoli florets in a microwave-safe bowl. Cover with water. Cook for 2 minutes. Stir and cook for 1 more minute. Drain and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- In a large cast-iron skillet, cook bacon until crispy. Remove onto a plate. Drain grease from the pan.
- Melt one tablespoon of butter in skillet. Add garlic and onion and saute for 3 minutes.
- Add Italian seasoning and stir in.
- Whisk cornstarch with half and half. Add to sauteed veggies in skillet.
- Simmer sauce, stirring often, until thickens. Turn off the heat.
- Add dried parsley, salt and pepper to sauce and stir. Add broccoli and half of cooked bacon. Stir gently to coat broccoli in sauce.
- Top broccoli with shredded cheese and remaining bacon.
- Bake in preheated oven for 10 to 15 minutes, or until bubbly.