Coconut Pineapple Cake – simple and delicious coconut cake with light and fluffy whipped pineapple frosting. Perfect Summer dessert!
Pineapple and coconut combo is one of my very favorites when it comes to Summer desserts. It just screams vacation to me! Pina Coladas are the summer drink for a reason. The coconut cake has a tender crumb and melts in your mouth, all thanks to buttermilk which is my favorite to use in cakes. The frosting is my favorite frosting recipe ever! Forget the overly sweet vanilla frosting from the store or even the homemade buttercream (yes, I said that!)! This frosting is made from just 3 ingredients stirred together; it’s light, creamy and irresistible!
- all-purpose flour
- granulated sugar
- baking powder
- baking soda
- unsweetened coconut
- vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- coconut or vanilla extract
- crushed pineapple (can)
- vanilla instant pudding mix
- whipped topping
- toasted coconut (topping)
How to make Coconut Pineapple cake?
Whisk together dry ingredient in a mixing bowl.
In another mixing bowl or large measuring cup, mix together wet ingredients. The batter should be smooth and thick.
Pour batter into prepared baking pan.
Bake for 28 – 32 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
Cool before frosting.
This is my favorite cake frosting to date! It’s super easy and absolutely delicious!
- Drain crushed pineapple but reserve the juice.
- Squeeze as much liquid as possible.
- Mix vanilla pudding mix with the reserved juice until thick.
- Add pineapple and whipped topping and fold in.
I recommend storing this cake in the fridge for up to 3 days. It will stay fresh longer.
More cake recipes:
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Dessert Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Coconut Pineapple Cake
!for the cake:
- 2 cup all-purpose flour
- 3/4 cup granulated sugar
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
- 1 cup buttermilk
- 2 eggs
- 1/2 tsp coconut or vanilla extract
!for the frosting:
- 20 oz can crushed pineapple
- 3.9 oz box vanilla instant pudding mix
- 1 tub whipped topping like Cool Whip
- toasted coconut for garnish optional
!to make the cake:
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees.
- Grease and flour a 9" x 13" baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt and coconut). In another mixing bowl or large measuring cup, mix together buttermilk, oil, eggs and coconut extract.
- The batter should be smooth and thick.
- Place the batter into prepared baking pan.
- Bake 28 - 32 minutes, until the top is golden brown and the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool before frosting.
!to make the frosting:
- Drain pineapple from juice, reserving the juice in a small bowl. Squeeze out as much liquid as possible.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together reserved pineapple juice and pudding mix. Whisk until thickened. Add pineapple and stir well. Add whipped topping and fold in gently.
- Spread frosting over cooled cake.
- Chill cake in fridge until ready to serve.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- You can use any white frosting you like for this cake and top it with toasted coconut.