Chocolate Glazed Pumpkin Donuts – fun baked donuts for Halloween! You will love the pumpkin and chocolate combo!
Here is the story of the chocolate glazed pumpkin donuts:
The kids made me do it!
Okay, okay. No one was twisting my arm here. I happily volunteered. 🙂 But it was totally their idea. They wanted pumpkin donuts with chocolate glaze. And Halloween sprinkles. Not sure what they wanted more: to cover the donuts in chocolate glaze or sprinkle the Halloween colored funfetti. Either way these had to happen.
It’s October and we are having Halloween on our minds. Just yesterday, we hung the first decor pieces. Actually, the “book stack” you see in the background – treat jar!! How cool is that? I will have more pictures of our Halloween decor soon. I am still waiting on few ordered pieces.
But back to these donuts!
Sprinkles are my super friends when it comes to making cute treats for holidays and special occasions. I don’t have the skills to make decorated sugar cookies or cute spiders from pretzels and truffles or pipe out Frankenstein’s face on a cupcake.
I add sprinkles and that’s all she wrote. Fortunately, my kids don’t mind. They LOVED these donuts! There were faces chocolate glazed covered and licked fingers and no crumb left. That’s a good sign! I actually had to steal a bite to taste these!
I wish I could say I have at least one left for tomorrow morning!
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 3/4 cup buttermilk
- 1/2 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree
- 2 Tablespoons vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips or candy coating
- 2 Tablespoons unsalted butter
- 2 Tablespoons corn syrup
- 2 teaspoons hot water
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- Spray donut pan with non-stick cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, sugars, baking powder, and salt.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk, pumpkin, vanilla and oil.
- Add the wet ingredients to the dry ingredients and sitr until combined. Do not overmix.
- Place the batter in a ziploc bag and close. Snip one corner of the bag.
- Pipe the batter out into the prepared pan, filling the donut cavities 2/3 full.
- Bake the donuts for 8 to 9 minutes (for me the magic number was 9). The bottom of the donuts should be golden brown and the tops should be light.
- Cool the donuts in the pan for 10 minutes. Transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- !to make the glaze:
- Place chocolate, butter and corn syrup in a microwave safe small bowl. Microwave in 20 second increments until melted. Stir until smooth. Add hot water and stir again.
- Dip each donut in the glaze and place back on a wire rack.
- Decorate with sprinkles.
- Store in an air tight container in a room temperature for up to 2 days.
These fluffy donuts are full of pumpkin spice flavor and dunked in chocolate glaze for a sweet finish. Such a fun and easy treat for kids to make on Halloween!