Chocolate Dipped Shortbread Cookies – a sweet treat for your Valentine!
Cute cut-out cookies are always a hit. No matter the holiday – they always steal the spotlight from other treats. They are just adorable like that!
I think I should make more shortbread cookies and share them on the blog. They are so easy to make and always look so pretty! It’s also a fun baking project to do with kids. They love cutting out the dough with fun cookie cutters. With Valentine’s Day being just two weeks away, naturally we went for heart shaped cookies.
Dipping in chocolate is super fun but not necessary. The cookies are amazing on their own. We wanted to add our favorite sprinkles of late and chocolate coating seemed like the perfect base for them.
You can hide them in lunchboxes for the kids or leave them on your loved one’s desk. They are a wordless message of love.
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder I used Hershey's
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 12 Tbsp unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 oz . semi-sweet chocolate I used Hershey's Special Dark
- 2 tsp vegetable or canola oil
- pink sprinkles
- In a large mixing bowl, beat butter for 30 seconds or until creamy. Add sugar and beat 4 minutes, until light and fluffy. Add vanilla extract and mix well.
- In another mixing bowl, sift the flour, salt and cocoa powder together. Make sure there are no clumps of cocoa powder.
- Add half of the dry ingredients to creamed butter and mix well.
- Add the rest of flour mixture and beat until well combined.
- Mix the batter on medium speed for 1 more minute.
- Place the cookie dough on a sheet of parchment paper.
- Cover with another sheet of paper and roll out into a disk. Place in the fridge for 1 hour.
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Roll out the dough 1/4" thick, between the two sheets of parchment paper.
- Cut out cookies. Reroll any scraps of dough and cut out cookies until no dough remains.
- Place cookies on a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Bake 13 to 15 minutes (the magic number for me was 14 minutes). Let cool on sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack.
- Cool completely before glazing.
- Place chocolate chunks and oil in a microwave-safe bowl or cup and microwave in 10 to 15 seconds intervals until the chocolate is melted. Stir until smooth.
- Dip one side of each cookie.
- Lay back on a parchment paper sheet.
- Add sprinkles.
- Let cool until the glaze is set.
Recipe source: old family recipe.