Muddy Buddies Shortbread Bites recipe – mini shortbread cookies coated with melted chocolate and tossed in powdered sugar make for a fun spin of a classic treat! So easy and absolutely irresistible!
MUDDY BUDDIES SHORTBREAD BITES
Get ready to be obsessed! These sweet tiny shortbread bites disguised as muddy buddies are about to blow you away! Melt in your mouth shortbread cut into mini square cookies, coated with melted chocolate and tossed in powdered sugar are THE treat to make this holiday season! Inspired by two classics: shortbread cookies and Muddy Buddies (aka “Puppy Chow”) snack mix, these bites are fun to make, gift-wrap and share and enjoy! This is a perfect snack to enjoy while watching movies, alongside my Sweet and Salty Caramel Popcorn Mix and my Chocolate Caramel Pretzel Bites.
HOW TO MAKE SHORTBREAD BITES?
- To make these little bites, all you need is to throw all of the ingredients into a food processor and process until the dough resembles coarse crumbs.
- With your hands, form it into a 8″ by 5″ rectangle, freeze for 15 minutes, cut into little squares and bake.
- After they cool, coat the bites in melted milk chocolate and toss in powdered sugar. You will notice that there is not much sugar in the dough itself. It is perfect since the bites will be coated in milk chocolate and powdered sugar.
MUDDY BUDDIES SHORTBREAD BITES RECIPE:
Mini shortbread cookies coated with melted chocolate and tossed in powdered sugar make for a fun spin of a classic treat! So easy and absolutely irresistible!
- Place flour, sugar and salt in a bowl of a food processor. Process for 5 seconds.
- Add butter and shortening and process until the mixture resembles coarse crumbs and starts to come together.
- Place mixture on a sheet of parchment paper. With your hands, bring the mixture together into a disk. Roll out into a 8" by 5" rectangle. Place parchment paper with dough and place in freezer for 15 minutes.
- In the meantime, preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- When ready, cut the shortbread in half and then each half into about 1/2" squares. Bake one half at a time. Place shortbread bites onto a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, leaving about 1/2 inch space between them. Bake for 18 minutes.
- Cool completely.
- In a microwave safe bowl, melt chocolate chips and shortening until smooth.
- Place powdered sugar in a plastic gallon-sized bag and set aside.
- Place cooled shortbread bites in a mixing bowl. Pour chocolate over bites. Toss gently to coat.
- Place coated bites in a plastic gallon-sized bag with powdered sugar, close the bag and toss gently to coat.
- Place coated bites in a container, ready to serve. Store in an air-tight container.