Glazed Chocolate Donut Muffins – perfect treat when you want a donut and a muffin in the same time! The chocolate glaze is crazy good!
You know how sometimes you see something and you just can’t get it out of your head? Example: donuts. First I saw Kristen’s Chocolate Cake Donuts and was instantly smitten and then Cheryl shared her Maple & Cinnamon Baked Donuts and I was obsessed. Donuts I had to have!
Besides chocolate is know for getting rid of the Winter blues. Glazed Chocolate Donut Muffins are the way to go when Mother Nature plays with our patience.
But I am lazy and it’s Winter and lots of snow and I don’t feel like dragging three kids to Michael’s to find a donut pan… Don’t judge me. Winter is tiring and shopping with little ones can be quite overwhelming. So I had to figure out another way to have my donuts. And then it hit me! I made donut muffins before and loved them! It was time to make a chocolate version.
I am so glad I did! These donut muffins are so easy to make and super delicious! The chocolate glaze was my Hubby’s request. The sprinkles – my girls’. So as you can see, it was a family affair. And it all started with my craving for donuts.
These muffins taste just like baked donuts. I love the tops! High and cracked! The glaze is super simple to make and (just a warning) you will find yourself (or your kids) with fingers in the bowl, stealing some straight into your mouth!
So next time you are craving donuts and don’t want to make a yeast dough and fry it or don’t have a donut pan – try these donut muffins! You will love them!
I made these Cinnamon Sugar Mini Donut Muffins (that look like donut holes) around the same time. Check them out!
Glazed Chocolate Donut Muffins
- baki!for donuts:
- 1/2 c vegetable or canola oil
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/3 c packed light brown sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 1/2 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 c milk
for the glaze:
- 1/4 c unsalted butter
- 1/4 c milk
- 3 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 Tbsp corn syrup
- 2 c powdered sugar
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- Grease muffins tin (cavities and the top). Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 425 degrees F.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, soda and salt). Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, mix together oil and both sugars. Mix for 2 minutes on medium speed.
- Add eggs, one at a time and mix well.
- Add vanilla and mix again.
- With mixer on low speed, mix in dry ingredients alternating with milk.
- Pour into muffin pan, filling each cavity 3/4 full.
- Bake 15 to 18 minutes or until toothpick inserted in the center of each muffin comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 3 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack and cool completely before glazing.
For the glaze:
- In a medium saucepan, cook butter, milk, cocoa and corn syrup until it starts to boil. Remove from heat. Sift powdered sugar over the cocoa mixture. Whisk in until smooth. Add vanilla and whisk again.
- Dip each donut muffin top down into the glaze. Set on a wire rack set over a baking sheet to catch the drips. Let sit for few minutes and then add sprinkles.
The glaze will thicken up as it sits. It will set on the muffins and won't be sticky.
Copyright 2011-2013 CrunchyCreamySweet.com
Thanks for reading and please keep in touch. Follow me on Twitter, Facebook and Pinterest.