Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars – sweet and creamy dessert for red velvet lovers!
Cookies are starting to overtake our house but I was still able to make some room for cheesecake. There is always room for cheesecake in our house. My Hubby and I are huge fans of this type of dessert. And these sweet and creamy cheesecake bars are so much easier to make than a whole cake.
These Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars are sure to impress with looks and flavor. They are perfectly creamy thanks to the cream cheese and sour cream combination. I was testing this recipe by adding the food coloring 1/4 of a teaspoon at a time. In the end, one teaspoon was just enough. The batter was light red but it darkened during baking into a gorgeous red velvet!
Red Velvet Cheesecake Bars
for the crust:
- 1/4 c unsalted butter , melted, cooled
- 1/4 c packed light brown sugar
- 3/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp baking powder
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp red food coloring
for the filling:
- 1/4 c sour cream or Greek yogurt
- 1 8 oz . package cream cheese , softened
- 1 large egg
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1 tsp red food coloring
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a square 8" x 8" pan with aluminum foil. Set aside.
- !to make the crust:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together brown sugar, flour, soda, baking powder, salt and cocoa powder. Add melted butter and stir until it comes together. Add food coloring and stir until mixed evenly.
- Press onto the bottom of prepared pan.
- !to make the filling:
- In a large mixing bowl, mix cream cheese and sour cream with electric mixer until smooth.
- Add sugar and mix well.
- Add egg, vanilla, flour, cocoa powder and mix until smooth.
- Add food coloring and mix until no white streaks remain.
- Pour over crust.
- Bake for 25 to 28 minutes or until the sides are set and the cheesecake is slightly wiggly when you shake the pan.
- Let cool completely.
- Chill in the refrigerator until set.
- Cut and serve.
What are you baking this holiday season?