Ham and Cheese Biscuits with Basil - flaky and buttery biscuits with ham, cheese and basil! Perfect with a steaming hot bowl of soup or chili!
The summer is over, we are knee-deep into fall and I just bought my first basil plant.
Yep, you read that right.
For the last two years, I gave up on growing herbs in my garden as I never had much success with it. And then I saw this gorgeous basil plant in our store. I looked at my Hubby and in slow motion placed the plant in our grocery cart. He gave me a look saying "I give it three days".
Right now, my basil plant is sitting on the counter in it's special designated place. I see it everyday, I water it everyday. It actually makes me proud! I've had it for a week now and I am seeing new leaves! I love the fragrance of it! Slightly sweet, citrusy and so earthy. Amazing!
So far, I've added it as a topping on our pizza and absolutely loved it! The other day, I was stirring up the dough for my cut out biscuits. The plan was to make them with ham and cheese. And then I saw my basil plant on the counter and had a brilliant idea - to add some chopped leaves into the dough.
Oh my! I may never make biscuits without basil again! It adds freshness and citrusy flavor that is like a pop of freshness in these biscuits. I love it!
You will love how easy they are to whip up and how tender they bake up. And of course, the layers - a must in cut-out biscuits. So so good! This is definitely a keeper recipe!
Ham and Cheese Biscuits with Basil
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 2 teaspoons granulated sugar
- 2 teaspoons baking powder
- 1/4 teaspoons baking soda
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- dash of cayenne pepper
- 1/8 teaspoon ground black pepper
- 1/2 cup (1 stick) salted butter, chilled
- 1 large egg , beaten
- 1/2 cup buttermilk
- 3/4 cup chopped ham
- 1/2 cup shredded cheese ( I used mozzarella)
- 1/4 cup loosely packed fresh basil leaves , chopped
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper and set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking powder, baking soda, salt, garlic powder, cayenne, pepper).
- Grate the chilled butter over the flour mixture and immediately cut it in with a pastry cutter.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together buttermilk and egg. Add to the dry ingredients.
- Stir in few times.
- Add ham, cheese and basil.
- Stir in util the flour is incorporated. Do not overmix!
- Place the dough onto a floured surface. Form into a disk. Fold in half. Gently flatten into a disk again. Fold in half again.
- Flatten into a disk about 3/4 inch thick.
- Cut out the biscuits with floured biscuit cutter. Place onto the prepared baking sheet.
- Gather the scraps of the dough, cut out more biscuits and place on the sheet.
- Bake the biscuits for 18 to 22 minutes, or until risen, show layers and have golden tops.
- Let the biscuits cool on the sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely.