Fudgy Brownie Cupcakes with fresh whipped min topping – rich and fudgy cupcakes with refreshing frosting.
It’s a glorious 70 degrees outside today. Seventy! Thank you, Mother Nature! Let’s celebrate with cupcakes!
Not just any cupcakes. The beginning of Spring requires a little step up from classic chocolate cupcakes. Besides, St. Patrick’s Day is just a few days away and chocolate and mint combinations are highly sought after. I added it all up and came up with this chocolate mint combination.
Enter Fudgy Brownie Cupcakes with Mint Whipped Cream Topping.
They will knock your socks off! My girls were wearing flip-flops today, so apparently it works! 😉
These brownie cupcakes are so utterly fudgy and chocolatey and are faster to make than pan brownies. Do I hear applause? 🙂 Than check this: I topped each and every one with freshly whipped cream with a drop of peppermint extract. Chocolate brownie base and peppermint topping. Oh yes!
The real star here is the brownie cupcake. Dense, fudgy, chewy and super chocolatey. I thought that a sugary frosting will be too overwhelming and since we are in a Spring mood here (think refreshing), I decided to go with something lighter. What better than freshly whipped cream with a hint of mint? Perfect combination, dare I say.
Fudgy brownie cupcakes with whipped cream
!for the brownie cupcakes:
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
!for the topping:
- 1/2 c heavy whipping cream
- 1 tsp powdered or regular sugar
- 1 drop peppermint extract
- 1 drop of green gel food color (optional)
!to make the brownie cupcakes:
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees F.
- Place 10 cupcake liners in 10 cavities of your muffin pan. Set side.
- In a medium saucepan, combine butter, sugar and cocoa powder. Cook on medium, stirring constantly, until butter is melted and the mixture is grainy but fairly uniform.
- Remove from the stove. Cool to room temperature.
- Whisk in vanilla extract and salt.
- Add eggs and whisk until smooth.
- Gently fold in flour, just until no streaks remain. Do not overmix.
- Fill cupcake liners almost all the way to the top.
- Bake 20 to 22 minutes, or until the tops look cracked slightly. Do not overbake.
- Cool completely in pan.
!to make the topping:
- In a bowl of a stand mixer, whip cream until soft peaks form. Add sugar and whip 1 minute longer on medium speed. Add peppermint extract and whip for 10 seconds. Stir in food color if using.Transfer into a piping bag or ziploc bag with snipped corner.
- Decorate completely cooled cupcakes with the topping just before serving.