Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Ganache - my favorite brownie base, topped with easy ganache and decorated Valentine's Day style!
It's February!!! Yay! Can I get a high five for that! I am excited that it's February for two reasons: it should be the last cold month for us, here in Kansas and... it's a month filled with chocolate treats! We are celebrating love with chocolate - that's definitely something to be happy about.
When you are thinking chocolate, brownies definitely come to mind. Fudge brownies at that. How about we top them with a ganache and Hershey’s® chocolate hearts? Add some pink sprinkles just for fun!
I used my favorite brownie base, made with Hershey’s® cocoa powder, that always comes out super fudgy. This recipe has yet to fail me. It's very easy to make, one bowl and a whisk is all you need.
I made a very simple ganache and poured it over the top. It made for a perfect base for the sprinkles and chocolate hearts. I used Hershey’s® Special Dark chocolate, one of my serious weaknesses. I have several bars of it in my pantry.
I always look forward to buying a few bags of Hershey’s® chocolate hearts when Valentine's Day rolls around. They are perfect for those moments when a chocolate craving hits me or as a toppers for my treats!
I was just going to slice the brownies into squares as usual. But then I saw my new heart cookie cutter and decided to make a special heart brownie for my Hubby. 🙂 I love the chocolate hearts set in the ganache!
Fudge Brownies with Chocolate Ganache
!for the brownies:
- 10 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1 c granulated sugar
- 1/4 c packed dark brown sugar
- 3/4 c + 2 Tbsp unsweetened cocoa powder (I used Hershey's)
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 large eggs
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
!for the ganache:
- 6 oz . semi-sweet chocolate chips or chunks (I used Hershey's Special Dark)
- 1/4 c + 2 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- 1 1/2 Tbsp granulated sugar
- 1 1/2 Tbsp corn syrup
- 9 Hershey's Chocolate Hearts
!to make the brownies:
- Preheat your oven to 325 degrees.
- Line a 8"x8" baking pan with foil. Set aside.
- In a double boiler, melt together butter, sugars, cocoa powder and salt. Whisk together.
- When all the butter has melted and everything is mixed together, remove the bowl from the heat and set aside to cool. It should be warm but not hot or it will scramble the eggs.
- At this point, I poured the cocoa mixture into my stand mixer bowl and turned it on 2. Mix for 2 minutes. You can use whisk or wooden spoon.
- Add vanilla and stir.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- When your batter looks shiny, it's time to add flour. Add it all at once and beat until it disappears in the batter.
- Pour the batter into your prepared pan and spread evenly.
- Bake 25 - 30 minutes.
- Cool completely before cutting.
!to make the ganache:
- Place chocolate in a small mixing bowl.
- Bring the cream, sugar and corn syrup to boil. Pour over chocolate. Do not stir. Let sit for at least 5 minutes. Stir until smooth. Pour over brownies. Let set for 3 minutes. Sprinkle with sprinkles. Arrange the chocolate hearts. Chill the brownies in the fridge until set, about 1 hour.