French Toast with Chocolate Fudge Sauce and Strawberries - romantic idea for breakfast in bed!
This was my Hubby's idea.
I just asked: if you could have breakfast in bed, what would you like?
After he laughed for a while, because, well.... breakfast in bed - that hasn't happen in the last 7 years. We are boring like that. Oh, wait! We have three kids, homeschoolers at that. So.. yeah. Breakfasts in bed don't happen often. But we dream and we hope that someday.... So this breakfast idea was actually our Sunday brunch but it fits the "breakfast in bed" category quite well.
When you are thinking "romantic breakfast" chocolate and strawberries come to mind. French toast is just a delicious base for it all.
The best part: when you get a chunk of the toast, whipped cream mixed with fudge sauce all.in.one.bite.
As you can see, I got you covered for a special occasion celebration. Be it Valentine's Day, or an anniversary - I have a breakfast idea for you, dinner recipes (two amazing dishes coming to the blog soon!) and lots of treats and desserts.
French Toast with Chocolate Fudge Sauce and Strawberries
!for the French Toast:
- 8 slices of thick white bread (I used Texas toast)
- 3 large eggs
- 1.25 c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
for the 10-Minute Hot Fudge Sauce:
- 1/2 c packed light brown sugar
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c unsalted butter
- 1/4 c milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- !to make the 10-Minute Hot Fudge Sauce:
- Mix brown sugar and cocoa powder in a small bowl. Set aside.
- In a medium saucepan, cook butter and milk until it starts to bubble ( about 5 min on medium heat).
- Add cocoa mixture. Stirring constantly with a wooden spoon, cook for 2 minutes until smooth.
- Remove from heat and stir in vanilla.
- Let sit for at least 5 minutes. It will thicken.
- Store covered in refrigerator for up to 1 week.
- Reheat for 10 seconds in microwave before using.
- !to make the French Toast:
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together eggs, milk and vanilla.
- Preheat a griddle. You can place a teaspoon or two on it to melt and coat it.
- Dip each slice of bread in the egg mixture and place on a hot griddle.
- Fry on each side until golden brown, about 2 minutes.
- Place on a baking sheet and keep warm, covered with a sheet of aluminum foil, until ready to serve.
- !To serve:
- Place two French toasts on a plate, dust with powdered sugar, drizzle with Hot Fudge Sauce and garnish with whipped cream and slices of strawberries.