Freezer Breakfast Burritos – easy meal prep breakfast idea! Sausage, egg and potato filled burritos are freezer-friendly and filling breakfast for busy days!
Easy breakfast meal prep burritos are my new favorite thing to make ahead for busy days. They are loaded with eggs, sausage and potatoes with onions and peppers, rolled up in a tortilla and can be frozen for up to 3 months. With just a little bit of planning, you can make a whole tray of filling burritos with your favorite breakfast food.
Ingredients (your shopping list):
- flour tortillas
- breakfast or pork sausage
- half and half
- shredded cheese (cheddar or Mexican blend)
- frozen diced potatoes or Potatoes O’Brian
How to make it?
- Cook scrambled eggs, sausage and hashbrowns or potatoes.
- Lay out the tortillas and top them with filling.
- Next, roll them up burrito-style by folding the sides first, then roll tightly.
- Wrap each burrito in a sheet of freezer paper, then place two to three in a ziploc bag.
To freeze breakfast burritos, prepare all of the ingredients, divide equally on top of each tortilla, roll up tightly burrito-style, wrap in freezer paper, place in a ziploc bag and close. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as you can out of the bag before closing. You can store the burritos in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, I like to let them thaw out first. You can certainly place a frozen burrito on a microwave plate and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. If you take them to work, place in a cooler lunch bag and by lunchtime, they should be thawed out enough to heat up quicker. You can also cut them in half before reheating. That also seems to speed up the process. Serve with salsa or sour cream.
- I used potatoes O’Brien because they already have onions and peppers added. Just remember to thaw them out before assembling the burritos.
- use freezer paper instead of aluminum foil (foil can rip and cause freezer burn)
- the addition of half and half makes for fluffier scrambled eggs
More freezer-friendly breakfast recipes:
- Freezer Breakfast Sandwiches
- Baked Oatmeal Cups
- Sheet Pan Pancakes
- Perfect Breakfast Casserole
- Best French Toast
For more recipes like this one, feel free to browse our Breakfast Category.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
These freezer breakfast burritos are an Easy meal prep breakfast idea! Sausage, egg and potato filled burritos can be frozen for up to 3 months. They are a filling breakfast for busy days!
- 1/2 lb breakfast or pork sausage
- 2 cups potatoes O'Brien or frozen diced potatoes see note
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons half and half see note
- 8 medium size tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese see note
- In a medium pan, cook sausage until done. Place on a plate and set aside. If the sausage had a lot of grease, drain and wipe the pan carefully with a paper towel.
- If you will be eating one of the burritos the same day, heat up the potatoes in the same pan. Otherwise, just thaw them out and set aside.
- To the same pan, add a tablespoon of butter and melt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the pan with butter. Gently swirling mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon, cook eggs until they reach desired texture. Remove from pan onto a plate. Set aside.
- Lay out tortillas on a cutting board. Top with equal amount of filling, starting with eggs, then sausage, then potatoes. Top with cheese. Fold in sides of the tortilla to the center. Roll up burrito-style. Wrap in a sheet of freezer paper and place in ziploc bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: unwrap burrito and set on a microwave-safe plate. Heat up for 45 to 60 seconds OR until heated through. It helps to cut the burrito in half to speed up the process. Also, you can let the burrito thaw out for 30 minutes before heating.
- I like to use potatoes O'Brien in this recipe because it already comes with onions and peppers. If you are using frozen diced potatoes, add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper. Saute until soft and add to potatoes. Make sure the frozen potatoes are thawed out before using in this recipe.
- Half and half is an equal mixture of cream and milk. Whole milk can be substituted. The addition of half and half makes scrambled eggs fluffier.
- You can use any cheese you like: cheddar, pepper Jack or a mix.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate.
This recipe was originally published on November 13th, 2017 and updated on October 25th, 2019.