Freezer Breakfast Burritos Recipe – easy meal prep breakfast idea! Sausage, egg and potato filled burritos are freezer-friendly and filling breakfast for busy days!
FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS
Easy breakfast meal prep burritos are my new favorite thing to make ahead for busy days. They are loaded with eggs, sausage and potatoes with onions and peppers, rolled up in a tortilla and can be frozen for up to 3 months. With just a little bit of planning, you can make a whole tray of filling burritos with your favorite breakfast food. Just like my Baked Oatmeal Cups, these burritos are perfect for meal prep plans.
How to make Freezer Breakfast Burritos?
Homemade Breakfast Burritos are very easy to make. All you need is scrambled eggs, cooked sausage and hashbrowns or potatoes. I used potatoes O’Brien because they already have onions and peppers added. Just remember to thaw them out before assembling the burritos. It’s helpful to lay out the tortillas and then top them with the filling. Next, roll them up burrito-style by folding the sides first, then roll tightly. Wrap each burrito in a sheet of freezer paper, then place two to three in a ziploc bag.
How long can you freeze burritos?
To freeze breakfast burritos, prepare all of the ingredients, divide equally on top of each tortilla, roll up tightly burrito-style, wrap in freezer paper, place in a ziploc bag and close. Make sure to squeeze out as much air as you can out of the bag before closing. You can store the burritos in the freezer for up to 3 months. To reheat, I like to let them thaw out first. You can certainly place a frozen burrito on a microwave plate and microwave for 30 to 60 seconds. If you take them to work, place in cooler lunch bag and by lunch time, they should be thawed out enough to heat up quicker. You can also cut them in half before reheating. That also seems to speed up the process. Serve with salsa or sour cream.
OTHER FREEZER-FRIENDLY BREAKFAST IDEAS:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
FREEZER BREAKFAST BURRITOS RECIPE:
Easy meal prep breakfast idea! Sausage, egg and potato filled burritos are freezer-friendly and filling breakfast for busy days!
This recipe makes 8 burritos.
- 1/2 lb breakfast or pork sausage
- 2 cups potatoes O'Brien or frozen diced potatoes see note
- 6 large eggs
- 2 Tablespoons half and half see note
- 8 medium size tortillas
- 3/4 cup shredded cheese see note
- In a medium pan, cook sausage until done. Place on a plate and set aside. If the sausage had a lot of grease, drain and wipe the pan carefully with a paper towel.
- If you will be eating one of the burritos the same day, heat up the potatoes in the same pan. Otherwise, just thaw them out and set aside.
- To the same pan, add a tablespoon of butter and melt.
- In a mixing bowl, whisk eggs with half and half. Season with salt and pepper. Pour egg mixture into the pan with butter. Gently swirling mixture with a spatula or wooden spoon, cook eggs until they reach desired texture. Remove from pan onto a plate. Set aside.
- Lay out tortillas on a cutting board. Top with equal amount of filling, starting with eggs, then sausage, then potatoes. Top with cheese. Fold in sides of the tortilla to the center. Roll up burrito-style. Wrap in a sheet of freezer paper and place in ziploc bag.
- Freeze for up to 3 months.
- To reheat: unwrap burrito and set on a microwave-safe plate. Heat up for 45 to 60 seconds OR until heated through. It helps to cut the burrito in half to speed up the process. Also, you can let the burrito thaw out for 30 minutes before heating.
I like to use potatoes O'Brien in this recipe because it already comes with onions and peppers. If you are using frozen diced potatoes, add 1/2 cup chopped onion and 1/2 cup chopped red bell pepper. Saute until soft and add to potatoes. Make sure the frozen potatoes are thawed out before using in this recipe. Half and half is an equal mixture of cream and milk. Whole milk can be substituted. The addition of half and half makes scrambled eggs fluffier. You can use any cheese you like: cheddar, pepper Jack or a mix.