Cook's Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookies are the best cookies you will ever make. Perfectly crispy on the edges and chewy in the center, these cookies are bound to become your favorite!
COOK'S ILLUSTRATED PERFECT CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES
Ladies and gentlemen, I present you the perfect chocolate chip cookie. In flavor, texture and look. The folks at Cook's Illustrated know what they are doing. Their recipes never disappoint me. That's why I was super excited to try this one. It's even called "the perfect chocolate chip cookie"!
These cookies are the most beautiful cookies I have ever made. They have a crunchy ring on the outside and deliciously chewy inside. The outer layer is crunchy too, leading you to the melty gooey center.
Note on the bread flour:
I used bread flour instead of all-purpose one, and I know it adds to the chewiness of these cookies. You can try either way. These cookies are simply perfect! They will be scrumptious and before you know it, only crumbs will remain on your plate. Yum yum!
MORE CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPES:
COOK'S ILLUSTRATED CHOCOLATE CHIP COOKIES RECIPE:
Cook’s Illustrated Chocolate Chip Cookies
- 1 3/4 c all-purpose flour or bread flour see note
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 14 Tbsp unsalted butter
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 3/4 c packed brown sugar
- 1 tsp salt
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 large egg
- 1 large egg yolk
- 1 1/4 c semisweet chocolate chips or chunks
- 3/4 c chopped pecans or walnuts toasted (optional - I skipped them )
- In a medium saucepan, heat 10 tablespoons of butter, until it starts to brown and smell nutty.
- Take off the heat, cool for 2 minutes, then pour into a large mixing bowl of your stand mixer.
- Combine egg and egg yolk in a measuring cup, do not beat. Set next to mixer.
- Add the remaining 4 tablespoons of butter to the browned butter and stir until melted.
- Add both sugars, salt and vanilla extract. Mix for 30 seconds.
- Add eggs and mix for 30 seconds.
- Let the mixture rest for 3 minutes.
- Mix again for 30 seconds.
- Let rest for 3 minutes.
- Repeat the process until your mixture is thick and pale.
- Whisk baking soda with flour.
- Switch to rubber spatula and fold in the flour and soda.
- Add chocolate chips and gently fold in.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees and line a baking sheet with parchment paper, foil or silpat.
- Scoop the dough with a tablespoon, placing 6 mounds of it on a sheet.
- Bake for 10 - 12 minutes.
- Cool for 1 minute on a baking sheet.
- Transfer to a cooling rack to cool completely.