Black Beans and Quinoa Enchiladas – easy and healthier vegetarian version of a family favorite!
With Cinco de Mayo right around the corner, I am sharing today one of our favorite Mexican dishes. You will love it because it’s vegetarian and healthier! Perfect family friendly dinner idea!
This version is healthier but definitely not lacking the flavors! These enchiladas are packed with Mexican spices, full of protein yet vegetarian!
Mexican food is hands down our favorite food. We have Mexican dishes at least twice a week. Usually, we (and by we I mean my Hubby 🙂 ) couldn’t image a Mexican dish without the meat. But with the fabulous quinoa I was able to make this dish vegetarian. I secretly skipped the meat and added cooked quinoa to the filling in these enchiladas. I was very weary of my Hubby’s reaction because he doesn’t like when I mess with his classics. And his enchiladas is something he is proud of and loves to make. Yet he allowed me to play with his recipe. His verdict? He actually really liked this dish! He said that it has the flavors spot on and the texture is great. So high five for me!
This dish is great for busy weeknights as you can do all of the prep in the morning and bake them right before serving! During the week, I am all about quick and easy dinners.
You know what else makes dinner time easier? Good appliances. I remember when my Hubby and I used to rent an apartment (at the beginning of our marriage, before we had kids) we had this GE stove that I miss to this day. It was reliable and gorgeous.
Now, that we are house hunting again and I am dreaming up a brand new kitchen, I have GE appliances on my list! This GE French Door Fridge is already in my possession and I love it. It has so much space which I need being that we are a family of five. This Gas Double Oven is on my list. As a baker and blogger – I need a double oven! So Santa, I have been good so far and planning on keeping it that way! 😉 In the meantime, I will continue to explore the Kitchen Reimagined Section on GE site and their Pinterest boards. For more easy weeknight recipes, please visit Weeknight Kitchen on Food Network.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 10 corn tortillas
- 1 cup dry quinoa
- 1 can black beans drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheese I used Mexican blend
- 1/2 yellow onion chopped
- 1 and 1/2 cup enchilada sauce
- green onions chopped for garnish
- lime wedges for garnish
- Butter a 13" x 9" dish. Set aside.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- Cook quinoa according to the directions on the package.
- Place cooked quinoa in a large bowl.
- Add rinsed beans and onion. (You can saute the onion before adding to the filling mixture.)
- Add 1/2 of a cup of the shredded cheese to the filling mixture.
- Stir together. Set aside.
- In a large saucepan heat up 1 cup of vegetable or canola oil to warm (not hot!).
- One at a time, place each tortilla in the warm oil for about 10 seconds. Place on paper towels.
- Place the enchilada sauce in a large dish.
- Submerge each corn tortilla in enchilada sauce and place on cutting board.
- Place 2 tablespoons of the filling in the middle of each tortilla. Fold the sides to the center or roll up the tortilla and arrange in the prepared dish.
- Repeat until you used up all tortillas and all of the filling.
- Pour the remaining enchilada sauce over the arranged enchiladas.
- Top with cheese.
- Bake for 18 to 20 minutes or until the dish is bubbly and the cheese melted.
Weeknight dinners should be quick and easy for any busy family. GE Appliances can help streamline the kitchen process with their hands-free auto-fill refrigerator, their double oven range, to their 102 jet wash system dishwasher. To see these appliances in action check out GE: Kitchen Reimagined. For more tips on weeknight dinners head over to FoodNetwork Weeknight Kitchen page for recipes, tips, and much more!
This is a sponsored conversation written by me on behalf of GE Appliances. The opinions and text are all mine.