New York Style Crumb Cake – moist and fluffy cake with crunchy crumb topping. Perfect dessert with a cup of tea or coffee.
Happy first day of Spring! If you see it anywhere, send it my way. We had a hefty dose of snow in the last two days, snowflakes so big you could almost see their shapes through the window. Because that’s as close to the snow as I get. Or want to get. Don’t like winter. Miss summer. That’s me.
But hey! First day of spring calls for celebration. So… let’s eat cake!
New York Style Crumb Cake to be exact. It’s my favorite coffee crumb cake. All because of the topping. I tried many and this one is hands down the best. It won’t sink into the cake, which I don’t like. I added a tablespoon of molasses to it simply because I ran out of brown sugar. I have to say, I love the flavor it added to it.
I opted for a small pan with this cake (square 8″x8″ pan) so you won’t feel overwhelmed. 🙂 See what I did there? 🙂 I made you a favor by cutting the original recipe in half! Because I know you will love this cake and it would be really dangerous to have a whole big pan of it. Unless of course you want to share it with family and friends. Then go ahead and double it. But like I said, I am not sticking my nose out the door until the Spring arrives. 🙂
New York Style Crumb Cake - moist and fluffy cake with crunchy crumb topping. Perfect dessert with a cup of tea or coffee.
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , room temperature
- 3/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 large eggs
- 1/4 c sour cream
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 1/4 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp baking powder
- dash of salt (1/8 tsp)
- 6 Tbsp unsalted butter , melted, slightly cooled
- 1/4 c light brown sugar
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 1 Tbsp molasses
- 1 c all-purpose flour
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- dash of salt (1/8 tsp)
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Grease 8"x8" square baking pan. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together flour, soda, baking powder and salt. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer, cream butter for 30 seconds. Gradually add sugar and cream until fluffy and light.
- Add eggs, one at a time, beating well after each addition.
- Add vanilla and mix well.
- Add dry ingredients alternating with sour cream.
- Mix well. Batter will be thick.
- Spread the batter in prepared pan.
- !to make the topping:
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together both sugars, molasses, cinnamon and salt. Add melted butter and stir. Add flour and stir until it all comes together. It will looks like a thick dough.
- Breaking it into pieces with your fingers, sprinkle the topping over the cake.
- Bake the cake for 30 to 35 minutes, or until the toothpick inserted in the center comes out clean. Cool in pan.