Soft M&M Cookies - simply delicious cookies that you have to make for your Valentine!
I think we need 10 more hours in a day. I know I do for sure! There is just so much to do and not enough time! The evenings are the busiest - it's dinner (from scratch almost every day), it's bath time, it's bed-time stories, it's the clean-up. Ooooh, how I dislike doing dishes. Just ask my Hubby. I complain. Every.time. But then I get up in the morning to a clean kitchen and that always makes me happy!
So what I am trying to say is - send a cleaning fairy. I am paying in cookies!!
Because there is always time to make cookies. 🙂 When I announced to my girls the idea of Valentine's Day M&M cookies - they jumped for joy! My son was busy playing hot wheels with daddy. :). Of course, the boys were not too busy to devour a few. These cookies were a huge hit! Soft (thanks to cornstarch) with a crunch from the M&M's. All in Valentine's Day color theme, of course. 🙂
Notes on the recipe:
- The cookies will puff up during baking but will deflate a little while cooling.
- The cookies are soft but not cakey.
- I suggest leaving about 1/4 of a cup of M&M's to place them on top of the baked cookies, while they are still hot. The candy will stick to them without sinking. And the cookies will be so pretty!
Soft M&M Cookies Recipe
- 1/2 c unsalted butter softened
- 3/4 c packed light or dark brown sugar
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 Tbsp pink sprinkles optional
- 1 c M&M's I used Dark Chocolate Valentine's Day edition
- In a large mixing bowl, whip butter for 20 seconds until creamy.
- Add both sugars and whip until light and fluffy (about 3 minutes.
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together flour, soda, salt and cornstarch.
- Add the egg and vanilla to the butter-sugar mixture.
- Mix well.
- Add the dry ingredients all at once and mix on low just until incorporated.
- Stir in the sprinkles and M&M's (reserving about 1/4 c of M&M's for placing on top of baked cookies).
- Cover the dough with a plastic wrap and chill for at least 1 hour.
- When ready to bake, preheat the oven to 350 degrees F. Line a baking sheet with a parchment paper or a silicone baking mat.
- Scoop the cookie dough with a 1,5 Tbsp cookie scoop. Place on a baking sheet.
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes. (The magic number for me was 10 minutes)
- While the cookies are still hot, place few M&M's on top of each, gently pressing down.
- Cool cookies completely.
- Store in an air tight container for up to 1 week.