Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken – a five ingredient slow cooker dish that’s gluten-free and kid-approved!
I have a very busy week ahead. Actually, it won’t end until next Tuesday so it’s even more than a week. I have a to-do list so long, it would make your head spin. One thing that I don’t want to stress me out – is dinner time. It’s tricky enough to make a kid-friendly meal that’s also gluten-free (oh boy! do I have a story about that! Soon! I promise!) and still satisfying.
Slow cooker to the rescue.
I love when I can throw five ingredients into a slow cooker, let it cook away and know that I will have a fantastic dinner on the table with no stress and minimal prep. Win win!
Do you remember the Sweet Garlic Chicken I shared recently? Crazy good stuff! I took the recipe and made just a couple of changes and this Pineapple Salsa Chicken was born. It’s sweet, it’s a little bit spicy and all around comforting. Saucy chicken that you can serve over rice (or quinoa!) made all in a slow cooker. It’s definitely one of those dinner recipes that you will keep and make often.
It’s kid approved (since they love the pineapple surprise) and gluten-free (I used gluten-free salsa that I was happy to find in our local Aldi store!).
Slow Cooker Pineapple Salsa Chicken
- 4 boneless skinless chicken thighs
- 1 cup crushed pineapple with juice not syrup (see note)
- 1/2 cup crushed tomatoes
- 1/2 cup salsa
- 2 teaspoons soy sauce
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch optional - see note
- 1/4 cup water
- Place the chicken thighs in a slow cooker.
- In a mixing bowl, mix together pineapple with juice, crushed tomatoes, salsa and soy sauce.
- Pour the mixture over the chicken.
- Cook on low setting for 6 hours or on high setting for 4 hours.
- When done, pull the chicken into smaller pieces (according to your liking) or serve a whole thigh per person.
- Serve over rice or quinoa.