How to make the best Instant Pot Oatmeal with old-fashioned oats, milk (even almond) and water. They are creamy and delicious with a variety of toppings!
Since the Instant Pot appeared in my kitchen, I have been discovering countless ways to use it. It can make the best pot roast ever or bake a cheesecake. Now, I make our oatmeal in my Instant Pot too! It’s super fast, no need to stir it during cooking and it’s creamy and delicious. I tested this recipe with different ratios of oats to liquid to ensure the oatmeal won’t burn. This recipe is fail-proof! Use almond milk and coconut oil to make them vegan.
- old-fashioned oats
- milk (any kind: almond, 2% or skim)
- butter or coconut oil
How to make Instant Pot Oatmeal?
- Pour water and milk into your Instant Pot.
- Add oats, butter and salt.
- Close the lid, press “manual” or “pressure cook” setting.
- Set timer to 3 minutes.
- The IP will start coming to pressure.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally.
- Open the lid and stir.
- Serve with fresh fruit, nuts, honey, etc.
What kind of oats can I use?
Depending on the type of oats you are using, the cooking time and ratios of oats to liquid will vary.
Old-Fashioned Rolled Oats
The most popular oats and also my favorite. The ratio of oats to water is 1:2 (for every cup of oats, you will need 2 cups of liquid; I use a mix of water and almond milk.
If you are using steel-cut oats, the ratio of oats to water will be 1:3. They are less processed oats and take longer to cook. Set timer to 4 minutes.
I do not recommend using instant oats in this recipe. They will overcook and turn into complete mush.
Do I need to use milk?
Nope, you can use just water to make these oats. I like the creamy texture and slight nuttiness from the almond milk so I use 1 cup of water and 1,25 cups of milk.
- peanut butter banana: add 1/4 cup of creamy peanut butter to hot oatmeal and stir. Serve with sliced bananas.
- chocolate strawberry: stir in 3 tablespoons of cocoa powder to hot oatmeal. Serve with sliced strawberries.
- berries and nuts: top the oatmeal with blueberries, raspberries or blackberries, chopped nuts (almonds, walnuts) and drizzle with honey
- apple cinnamon: chop apples and saute with brown sugar and cinnamon; use as a topping with a dash of ground cloves
- savory: top oatmeal with sauteed mushrooms, garlic and herbs
Can I make this in a 3qt Instant Pot?
Yes! This recipe is perfect made in the small size Instant Pot. The cooking time stays the same. You can also double the amount of ingredients and keep the cooking time the same.
More Instant Pot recipes:
For more recipes using the digital pressure cooker, feel free to browse our Instant Pot Category.
Also, check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance! Seeing BURN message on your IP? Read my Instant Pot Burn Message post to learn why and how to save your dish.
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Learn how to make the best Instant Pot Oatmeal with old-fashioned oats, milk (even almond) and water. They are creamy and delicious with a variety of toppings!
- 1 cup old-fashioned rolled oats
- 1 cup water
- 1.25 cups milk almond, 2% or skim
- 2 teaspoons coconut oil or butter
- 1/8 teaspoons salt
- 1/2 teaspoon vanilla extract
- Make sure the insert is in your Instant Pot. Pour water and milk into the Instant Pot.
- Add oats, coconut oil and salt. Stir.
- Close the lid and set valve to sealing position.
- Make sure the Instant Pot is set to cook at HIGH pressure.
- Press "manual" or "pressure cook" setting and set timer to 3 minutes.
- The appliance will beep and start building pressure, which can take about 6 minutes.
- Once the cooking cycle is done, press "cancel/off" and unplug the Instant Pot. Do not switch the valve. Let the IP release the pressure naturally. It will take about 10 minutes.
- When the pressure pin is down (if it's not, gently nudge it with a wooden spoon), carefully open the lid away from your face. Stir the oatmeal. Let it sit for 3 to 5 minutes, then stir vanilla.
- Serve with desired toppings.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- If you are using steel-cut oats, use additional cup of liquid and set timer to 4 minutes.