Gluten Free Berry Crisp – super easy and delicious dessert baked in a skillet! The coconut-oat topping is crazy good!
Summer time is about easy dessert and almost always with fresh fruit. Even if they are not the main star of the dish, they can always be the garnish. I absolutely adore summer berries! It makes me happy to see my kiddos munch on them, juice pouring down their hands – happy faces!
There are times, when I manage to keep a container or two for a special dessert. Like this Berry Crisp – one of our favorite Summer desserts. It also happens to be gluten free, thanks to the coconut-oat topping that is crazy good!
This crisp is bursting with berry flavor. There is more fruit than topping but feel free to double the coconut-oat mixture for a thicker layer. I always recommend adjusting a recipe to your likings! I think a scoop of a coconut sorbet or ice cream would add more sweetness since the raspberries can make it a little tarty. The topping contains just a few ingredients that most likely are already in your pantry: unsweetened shredded coconut, old-fashioned oats, coconut oil and brown sugar. It makes the dessert healthy and lets people with gluten allergy have a sweet ending to a meal. You will love it!
I baked my crisp in a cast iron skillet because I just adore skillet desserts, but you can bake it in a casserole dish too. Feel free to use blueberries in place of raspberries or make a mix of all three. Whatever you have on hands – use it! The prep time for this dessert is minimal.
Easy, healthy and absolutely delicious – that’s exactly what this Berry Crisp is!
Gluten Free Berry Crisp
- 10 oz . fresh strawberries washed, hulled and sliced thick
- 6 oz . fresh raspberries washed
- 2 Tablespoons packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 cup unsweetened shredded coconut
- 2/3 cup old-fashioned oats
- 1/4 cup packed light brown sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup coconut oil
- Lightly grease 10" cast iron skillet with coconut oil.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Place strawberries and raspberries on the bottom of skillet. Sprinkle with two tablespoons brown sugar and gently toss (you can do this step in a bowl but doing it in a skillet makes one less dish dirty!).
- In a medium mixing bowl, stir together coconut, oats, brown sugar and salt. Add coconut oil and stir well.
- Sprinkle the topping mixture over the berries.
- Bake the crisp for 30 to 32 minutes, or until bubbly on the edges.
- Let cool before serving.
- Serve with a scoop of coconut sorbet or ice cream, if desired.
If you like this recipe and will give it a try, snap a photo and share it on social media! Tag me #crunchycreamysweet or @crunchycreamysweet on Instagram! I’d love to see what’s happening in your kitchen!