Gingerbread Snickerdoodles – a classic cookie gets a holiday makeover!
My Husband’s favorite cookies (aside from chocolate chip) are Snickerdoodles. Probably because he also loves sugar cookies. The cinnamon sugar coating of Snickerdoodles is his favorite part. But he is not a fan of gingerbread! He doesn’t like the smell or the taste of it.
Yet I decided to make Gingerbread Snickerdoodles. Just a little makeover of the classic. Maybe just my attempt to show him that gingerbread is delicious? 🙂 Especially deceivingly dressed up as his favorite cookie. 🙂
I happen to love gingerbread! There is no holiday baking with out making gingerbread in some form of a cake or cookies. I love love molasses and the deep flavor and sweetness it adds to these cookies. These Chewy Molasses cookies from last year are still one of my favorite!
- 1/2 c unsalted butter softened
- 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1/2 c brown sugar
- 1/4 c molasses
- 1 large egg
- 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp cornstarch
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp ground ginger
- 1/4 tsp ground cloves or nutmeg
- 1/2 tsp ground cinnamon
- 1/4 c granulated sugar for rolling
- In a large mixing bowl, mix butter with electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add both sugars and cream until light and fluffy, about 3 minutes.
- Add molasses, egg and vanilla and mix until smooth.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, soda, cornstarch and spices.
- Add dry ingredients to the wet ingredients and mix until incorporated. The batter will be thick and sticky.
- Cover and chill the dough for at least 2 hours for up to 5 days.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat.
- Scoop tablespoon size balls of dough and roll in sugar.
- Place on a baking sheet leaving 2 inches of spaces between them.
- Bake for 9 to 11 minutes (10 minutes was the magic number for me).
- Cool on sheet for 2 minutes, transfer onto a cooling rack.
I think Santa would love to find these cookies on Christmas Eve. 🙂 Weather he is a fan of gingerbread or snickerdoodles.