Welcome to day 7 of our Valentine’s Day Celebration event! Today we are talking breakfast. Well, technically it can be breakfast or dessert. Judge for yourself.
Chocolate Crepes with Strawberries and Cream Cheese Filling.
It’s pretty amazing what you can do with just few simple ingredients. And how quickly you can create a dessert that satisfies visually and in taste.
But then, if you ask me, I will say that pairing chocolate with fruit will always win thumbs up. My Hubby and our kids were scarfing these down like nobody’s business. These crepes are amazing! Filled with sweet cream cheese filling and sliced strawberries and dusted with powdered sugar. Now, that’s a breakfast!
Yields 6 to 8 crepes
Delicious start to your day. Chocolate crepes filled with cream cheese and strawberries.
10 minPrep Time
15 minCook Time
2 hr, 25 Total Time
- 1/2 c cold water
- 1/2 c cold milk
- 2 eggs
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/2 c all-purpose flour
- 1/4 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/4 c shaved chocolate ( not chocolate chips; optional )
- 4 Tbsp melted butter or canola oil or coconut oil ( melted )
- 4 oz. cream cheese
- 1/2 c powdered sugar
- 1 tsp heavy whipping cream
- 6 - 8 strawberries, washed and sliced
- Place water, milk, eggs, shaved chocolate and salt in a blender and blend for few minutes until it all comes together.
- Add flour and cocoa powder and blend again.
- Drizzle in melted butter ( or oil ) and blend for 2 minutes.
- Cover and chill the batter for at least 2 hours. I refrigerated it overnight.
- When ready to make crepes, preheat crepe pan.
- In a medium mixing bowl, mix softened cream cheese until creamy. Add powdered sugar and beat until comes together. Add cream and beat again. Set aside.
- Using 1/4 c scoops of batter, fry crepes in the preheated pan. Fry for about 1 minute on medium heat. When you see the edges set, try to slide your spatula under the crepe. If it tears, leave of for another 10 seconds and try again.
- Flip the crepe and fry on the other side for 10 to 15 seconds. Slide onto a plate. Repeat with remaining batter.
- Spread each crepe with cream cheese filling. Place strawberry slices only on half of the crepe. Fold in half and then fold again. Place on a serving dish. Repeat with remaining crepes.
- Dust with powdered sugar and serve.
Refrigerating the batter lets it rest and get rid of air bubbles. The batter slightly thickens as it chills. The crepes texture is quite delicate so be gentle when flipping them on the other side. Usually, the first crepe won't work and will tear. The second one usually works much better.
Recipe slightly adapted from Julia Child.
Actually, I am thinking these are great for a lazy Sunday morning. Or make it a brunch! Ahhh, there are just so many reasons to enjoy chocolate crepes with strawberries and cream cheese. Wouldn’t you agree?
Come back tomorrow for another fun treat! In the meantime, you can follow our Pinterest board where you will find all the treats from the event!