Rich and decadent eggless chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy peanut butter frosting. Oh, and there is a surprise inside!
One of those perfect flavor combinations is for sure chocolate and peanut butter. You can take this combo and make any treat your heart desire and it’s guaranteed that everyone will love it.
Same with these cupcakes. Rich and moist chocolate cupcakes topped with fluffy peanut butter frosting. May I add the cupcakes are made with no eggs, like these minis. They are absolutely fabulous and quickly became my go-to chocolate cupcake recipe. It’s so easy to whip up and bakes beautifully. Domed, fluffy and rich in color and flavor.
The frosting is also my go-to recipe. I just swapped some of the butter for peanut butter and voila! Peanut butter frosting! So so easy! I promise! The heavy whipping cream makes it super smooth and fluffy and I wouldn’t recommend skipping it.
Oh but wait! I took this amazing treat even further! I used some of the frosting as a filling for the cupcakes!
- 1.5 cup all-purpose flour
- 1 cup granulated sugar
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/3 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 cup vegetable or canola oil
- 1 cup water
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 Tbsp apple cider vinegar
- 2 cup sifted confectionars' sugar
- 2 Tbsp unsalted butter softened to room temperature
- 1/4 cup + 1 Tbsp creamy peanut butter
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 Tbsp heavy whipping cream
- Preheat your oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line cupcake pan with paper liners. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, soda, salt and cocoa).
- In another mixing bowl, whisk together the wet ingredients (oil, water, vanilla and vinegar).
- Add dry ingredients to wet ingredients and whisk together until smooth.
- Fill cupcake liners about 2/3 full.
- Bake cupcakes for 17 to 18 minutes or until the toothpick inserted in the center of each cupcake comes out clean.
- Cool in pan for 2 minutes.
- Transfer onto a cooling rack to cool completely before frosting.
- With an electric mixer, beat sugar and both butters until crumbly.
- Add vanilla and cream and beat until smooth.
- Increase the speed to medium high and beat for 3 minutes until fluffy.
- Place in piping bag. Set aside.
- Use a cupcake corer or pairing knife to core the cupcakes.
- Fill the cupcakes with frosting.
- Use leftover frosting to decorate the top of the cupcakes.
- Decorate the cupcakes.
- Refrigerate leftovers.
These cupcakes are special as you can see. But that’s not because of the rich chocolate base or the fluffy mound of frosting. Not even because of the surprise hiding inside.