Instant Pot Risotto - creamy and cheesy risotto made without stirring, in 5 minutes in the Instant Pot. Serve it plain or add mushrooms, peas or broccoli.
My Instant Pot never disappoints. I already know it can make my meal prep faster and easier and makes the best rice ever, no rice cooker needed. Now, I can make creamy, cheesy and flavorful risotto in just 5 minutes. No standing over the stove and stirring for half an hour. All you need to do is saute onion, garlic and seasoning (yep! Read my tips to learn why!) and add the rice and liquid. The Instant Pot will do its magic and you will have a delicious risotto ready to be served.
- olive oil
- seasoning (fresh or dry thyme, Italian seasoning)
- arborio rice
- vegetable or chicken broth or stock
- Parmesan cheese
- Start by sauteeing onion in the Instant Pot.
- Add butter, garlic and seasoning. Stir in well.
- Add arborio rice and stir in. Saute for 1 minute.
- Add stock and salt and stir.
- Cover the Instant Pot with lid and set the timer to 5 minutes.
- Let the pressure release naturally.
- Open the Instant Pot and stir in Parmesan cheese. Serve warm.
What rice do you use to make risotto?
To make this risotto, you need to look for arborio rice. It looks like long-grain rice but it usually costs a little more.
Do I need wine to make risotto?
If you have good white wine on hand, feel free to use 1/2 cup in this recipe. If using wine, use 1.5 cups of vegetable or chicken stock.
- toast the seasoning: this is when you create the flavor for your risotto. Toasting the seasoning in butter activates them, especially if you are using dried herbs.
- toast the rice: I always recommend this step when cooking rice. It will create a fluffy and perfectly cooked rice every time!
- add butter: after you stir in Parmesan, you can add a tablespoon of butter to the risotto, let it melt and stir in. It will add rich flavor and make the risotto even more creamy.
More easy side dish recipes:
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Instant Pot Risotto
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1/4 medium yellow onion
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 3 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/4 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1/2 teaspoon fresh or dried thyme
- 1 cup arborio rice
- 2 cups vegetable broth See note
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 cup Parmesan cheese see note
- 1 tablespoon butter optional
- Press saute setting on your Instant Pot. Make sure the stainless steel insert is in the pressure cooker.
- Wait 1 minute, then add olive oil to the pot. Add chopped onion and saute for 2 minutes.
- Add butter and garlic to Instant Pot and stir in well. Add Italian seasoning and thyme and stir in. The mixture should be very fragrant.
- Add arborio rice to the sauteed vegetables and toast, stirring constantly, for 1 minute. Press "cancel/off" button.
- Add broth and salt and stir in.
- Close the lid and set the valve to sealing position. Press manual setting and set the timer to 5 minutes. The Instant Pot will start coming to pressure, which will take about 5 minutes.
- Once the timer is done, press the "cancel/off" button and let the Instant Pot release the pressure naturally. Do not switch the valve.
- When the pressure pin is down, carefully open the lid away from your face. Stir the risotto.
- Add Parmesan and stir in until melted.
- If you want ultra-rich and creamy risotto, add one tablespoon of butter, let it melt and stir in.
- Serve warm.
Do not use Kraft Parmesan. It is not a good option for risotto but also because it contains cellulose (think wood shavings). Buy a piece of real Parmesan or get already shredded Parmesan, like Sartori.