What is your stand on chocolate for breakfast? How about double chocolate? And what if we add some oatmeal and cheerios and turn it all into cookies?
Double Chocolate Breakfast Cookies. With zing. As in citrus zest stirred into the dough. This cookies will wake up your taste buds and make you dance!
It’s like taking your favorite cereal and your morning cup of juice, adding some chocolate ( because… well… everything is better with chocolate ) and turning it into a cookie. Addicting!
These cookies are a favorite in our family right now. We simply can’t get enough of them. They are super easy to whip up and unexpectedly delicious. With each bite you will be totally amazed at the balance of flavors and satisfaction in taste. Crispy edges, yet chewy center.
- ½ c unsalted butter, softened
- ¾ c granulated sugar
- ½ c packed dark brown sugar
- 1 large egg
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- ¾ c all-purpose flour
- ¼ c unsweetened cocoa powder
- ½ tsp baking soda
- ¼ tsp salt
- 1 tsp freshly grated citrus zest ( I used grapefruit zest )
- 2 c old-fashioned oats
- 1 c cheerios
- ½ c semi-sweet chocolate chips
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together dry ingredients ( flour, cocoa powder, soda and salt ). Set aside.
- Place butter and both sugars in a large mixing bowl of a stand mixer and cream until light and fluffy.
- Add egg and vanilla and zest and mix just until combined.
- With mixer on low speed, add dry ingredients and mix just until combined. Fold in cereal and chocolate chips.
- Cover the dough and refrigerate until thoroughly chilled ( 2 to 3 hours, preferably overnight ).
- When ready to bake, preheat your oven to 350 degrees F. Line your cookies sheet with parchment paper. Scoop out the dough into a tablespoon size balls and place on prepared sheet, leaving at least 2 inches of space between cookie balls. They will spread!
- Bake 9 to 11 minutes. Cool on a sheet for 3 minutes, then transfer onto a cooling rack.
Make sure you leave plenty of space between each cookie ball as these will spread while baking.
Mark your calendars because there is a big event happening here on Crunchy Creamy Sweet starting February 1st! See you then!