Italian Sausage Soup
Tomato soup with Italian flavors, packed with vegetables and sausage. So good and comforting.
Servings 5 servings
- 4 smoked sausage links (I used Italian style mild), sliced
- 1 Tablespoon olive oil
- 1 Tablespoon butter
- 1 medium red onion yellow will work as well
- 3 cloves garlic minced
- 5 red or yellow potatoes peeled, cut into large chunks
- 28 oz diced tomatoes
- 15 oz tomato sauce
- 2 cups chicken or vegetable broth
- 1 cup water
- 2 teaspoons Italian seasoning
- 1 chicken or vegetable bouillon cube
- salt and pepper to taste
To a large stock pot, add butter and olive oil and set over medium heat. Once butter is melted, add garlic and onion. Saute until onion is almost translucent. Add sausage and cook for 4 to 5 minutes.
Add potatoes and stir in. Let cook for about 2 minutes.
Add diced tomatoes, tomato sauce, broth and water. Stir well.
Add Italian seasoning and bouillon cube.
Bring to boil. Reduce the heat to medium low and cook until potatoes are soft (but not mushy), about 12 to 15 minutes.
Serve garnished with chopped fresh basil or parsley, dollop of sour cream, sprinkle of cheese or along side of grilled cheese sandwich.
- You can use raw Italian sausage, removed from casings.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
Calories: 420kcal | Carbohydrates: 50g | Protein: 13g | Fat: 19g | Saturated Fat: 6g | Cholesterol: 43mg | Sodium: 1538mg | Potassium: 1698mg | Fiber: 7g | Sugar: 12g | Vitamin A: 855IU | Vitamin C: 41.3mg | Calcium: 106mg | Iron: 4.8mg