Tater Tot Casserole
This is the best Tater Tot Casserole recipe you will make! Made with corn, cheese, ground beef, frozen tater tots and sauce from scratch and without canned soup.
Servings 5 people
- 1 lb ground beef
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/4 teaspoon black pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- 1 small yellow onion chopped
- 4 oz. baby Bella mushrooms sliced
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 1 tablespoon Worcestershire sauce
- 1/2 cup beef broth
- 1.5 tablespoons cornstarch
- 3/4 cup half and half or whole milk
- 15 oz can whole kernel corn drained and rinsed
- 2 cups shredded cheddar cheese
- 32 oz frozen tater tots
Preheat oven to 350 degrees F. Butter a 13"x9" baking dish. Set aside.
In a large skillet, cook beef until no longer pink. Layer in the prepared dish.
In the same skillet, heat up olive oil.
Add onion and saute for 3 minutes, or until it's almost translucent.
Add garlic and saute for 1 minute.
Add Italian seasoning and mushrooms. Cook until mushrooms are soft, 3 to 4 minutes.
Add Worcestershire sauce and beef broth. Scrape the bottom of the skillet with a wooden spoon. All those cooked on bits of meat and veggies have flavor. Simmer for 1 minute.
Mix cornstarch with half and half and simmer until thickened.
Pour the sauce over the meat layer and stir it all together.
Top with corn and cheese.
Layer tater tots on top.
Bake the casserole for 35 to 40 minutes or until bubbly and tater tots are golden.
Remove from oven and let it sit for 10 minutes.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
- Most recipes call for green beans but I like to use corn. We are not fans of canned green beans. If you want it taco-style, add green chiles and beans as well.
Calories: 900kcal | Carbohydrates: 66g | Protein: 35g | Fat: 57g | Saturated Fat: 23g | Cholesterol: 125mg | Sodium: 1630mg | Potassium: 1097mg | Fiber: 4g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 581IU | Vitamin C: 18mg | Calcium: 426mg | Iron: 4mg