his tasty Mushroom Soup uses simple ingredients but has exceptional flavor. Made from scratch, served creamy or clear, this soup is satisfying and delicious!
Servings 5 servings
- 16 oz mushrooms crimini or white or both
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ cup chopped yellow onion
- 3 garlic cloves minced
- ½ teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
- 3 cups low-sodium vegetable stock
- 2 cups water
- ¾ cup half and half
- 1 tablespoon cornstarch optional
Wash and slice mushrooms. If you plan of making the topping mentioned below, reserve a few slices.
In a large Dutch oven or soup pot, melt butter over a medium heat.
Add chopped onion and saute until translucent.
Add garlic and mushrooms. Saute until mushrooms release most of the liquid. Cook for 5 to 8 minutes.
Add thyme, salt, and pepper and cook for 2 minutes, stirring often.
Add vegetable stock and water and simmer the soup for 10 minutes.
Mix cornstarch with half and half and to the soup. Stir well and cook for 2 to 3 minutes.
For a creamier soup: blend half of the soup in a blender.
Serve with chopped parsley, croutons, etc.
- For a fancy topping: fry a few sliced mushrooms in butter.
- I recommend storing leftovers of this soup in a container with a lid, in the fridge for up to 3 days. You can freeze it without the half and half or cream.
- For a smooth soup, blend it in a blender; remember that the soup is hot so don’t fill the blender, rather do it in batches with the lid vent open.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use a calorie counter you are familiar with.
Calories: 110kcal | Carbohydrates: 10g | Protein: 4g | Fat: 7g | Saturated Fat: 4g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 2g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 19mg | Sodium: 822mg | Potassium: 370mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 4g | Vitamin A: 509IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 53mg | Iron: 1mg