Mushroom Sauce (fail-proof recipe)
This Mushroom Sauce is so simple to make, it’s fail-proof! You only need 6 ingredients and 20 minutes to make this creamy, delicious sauce. Use it to dress up meat or stir it in with pasta! I serve it with fried chicken cutlets, pork chops or steak. You can also add cooked chicken and pasta and turn it into a full meal!
Servings: 4 servings
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- ½ medium yellow onion chopped
- 2 garlic cloves minced
- 10 oz white mushrooms
- 1 ¼ cup half and half
- 3 teaspoons cornstarch
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ¼ teaspoon black pepper
In a saucepan, melt butter.
Add chopped onion, stir in. Saute over medium heat until translucent.
Add sliced mushrooms and garlic. Stir it in. Season with salt and pepper.
Cook until fragrant and mushrooms release water. Stir often.
In a glass measuring cup or a medium bowl, whisk cornstarch with half and half.
Pour mixture over mushrooms and stir in well.
Bring to a simmer and cook until the sauce thickens.
Remove the pan from heat and let the sauce sit to cool slightly. The sauce will thicken even more.
Season with more salt and pepper and serve.
- Taste the sauce once it's done. Add more black pepper, if desired. I always do since mushrooms love black pepper!
- Just before you add the half and half and cornstarch mixture to mushrooms, give it another whisk. Cornstarch tends to settle at the bottom of the bowl if the liquid sits for a moment.
- If you refrigerate it, you will need to add a splash of water or half and half to the sauce while reheating to bring back the saucy texture.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.
Calories: 153kcal | Carbohydrates: 9g | Protein: 5g | Fat: 12g | Saturated Fat: 7g | Polyunsaturated Fat: 1g | Monounsaturated Fat: 3g | Trans Fat: 1g | Cholesterol: 36mg | Sodium: 327mg | Potassium: 352mg | Fiber: 1g | Sugar: 2g | Vitamin A: 356IU | Vitamin C: 4mg | Calcium: 89mg | Iron: 1mg