Strawberry Shortcakes – a classic dessert that everyone loves! Sweet cakes filled with fresh strawberry slices and whipped cream.
Strawberry Shortcakes. A classic treat that’s incredibly easy to make and satisfying in looks and taste. Delicious shortcakes, fresh strawberry slices and a generous dollop of whipped cream. Perfect treat to make for special occasions or lazy weekends.
MORE STRAWBERRY RECIPES:
STRAWBERRY SHORTCAKE RECIPE:
Strawberry Shortcakes - a classic dessert that everyone loves!
- 1/4 c granulated sugar
- 2 c all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/2 c unsalted butter cubed and chilled
- 1 beaten egg
- 2/3 c milk
- whipped cream
- 8 to 10 large strawberries
- Line a baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat like Silpat. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 450 degrees.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together sugar, flour and baking powder.
- Add butter and cut in with a pastry cutter.
- In a small mixing bowl or measuring cup, mix together egg and milk.
- Add the wet ingredients to dry ingredients and stir with a wooden spoon just until moistened.
- Drop the dough onto prepared sheet by 2 heaping tablespoons, leaving at least 2 inches space between each mound. If you want flatter shortcakes, flour your hands and gently flatten each mound of dough to about 1/2 inch thick disks.
- Bake for 10 to 14 minutes, or until golden brown.
- Cool shortcakes on baking sheet for 2 minutes, then transfer onto a wire rack to cool completely.
- To assemble strawberry shortcakes: slice each shortcake horizontally. Slice one strawberry and place slices on the bottom part of your cake. Add dollop of whipped cream. Top with remaining piece of shortcake. Decorate with a small dollop of whipped cream and shaved chocolate.