Pumpkin Orange Bread Pudding with Cream Cheese Glaze - absolutely delicious breakfast or brunch idea for a Thanksgiving morning!
Have you ever tried pumpkin and orange flavors together? If not, then I am here to tell you that you are seriously missing out! I discovered this combo for the first time, while making this Pumpkin Layer Cake. I used an orange ginger spread as a filling. As soon as I took the first bite, I knew I discovered one amazing pairing of flavors. I have been wanting to use it in another recipe and here it is.
Pumpkin Orange Bread Pudding.
Bread cubes are baked in pumpkin mixture with the addition of orange zest, which accentuates the pumpkin and the spices and elevates this dish to a whole new level. There is absolutely nothing boring about it. It will be your new favorite breakfast or brunch dish this fall!
This might not be a photogenic food but it makes up for it in flavor. You will melt with the first bite! This dish has all of the fall flavors at their best! The addition of orange takes gives it a little bit of pizzazz and the cream cheese glaze is the perfect finishing touch.
This bread pudding smells gloriously while baking. The pumpkin spice and orange fill your house with a wonderful scent, making you feel like it's holiday time. I know I will be making it again for our Thanksgiving breakfast!
Pumpkin Orange Bread Pudding with Cream Cheese Glaze
!for the bread pudding:
- 6 cups cubed bread (I used Italian loaf)
- 1 15 oz can of pumpkin puree (not pumpkin filling)
- 2 large eggs
- zest of whole orange
- ½ cup milk
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 2 teaspoons pumpkin spice
- ½ cup unsalted butter , melted
- ½ cup packed light brown sugar
!for the glaze:
- 4 oz cream cheese , softened
- ½ cup powdered sugar
- 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoon whole milk or half and half
- Butter a 2 quart baking dish. Set aside.
- Preheat oven to 375 degrees F.
- Place bread cubes into a large mixing bowl.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together pumpkin, eggs, orange zest, vanilla, pumpkin spice and milk.
- In a measuring cup, mix together melted butter and brown sugar until the sugar is almost dissolved. Add to pumpkin mixture and stir until smooth.
- Pour the pumpkin mixture over the bread cubes. Toss gently to coat.
- Spread the bread with pumpkin mixture in the prepared dish.
- Bake the bread pudding for 30 to 35 minutes or until set.
- Cool for 15 minutes before serving.
- !to make the glaze:
- In a medium mixing bowl, beat cream cheese with an electric mixer for 30 seconds.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and mix in well.
- Add vanilla and whole milk, one tablespoon at a time, until your reach a thick but drizzling consistency.
- Drizzle the glaze over the warm bread pudding just before serving.
- Refrigerate leftovers in a covered container for up to 1 day.
Skinny Pumpkin Spice Latte - a hot cups of this latte and a plate of the bread pudding will make for a real treat!
Microwave Caramel Sauce - skip the cream cheese glaze and drizzle this glorious caramel sauce over the bread pudding!
Pumpkin Layer Cake with Orange Ginger Filling and Cinnamon Cream Cheese Frosting - my original source of the inspiration behind this bread pudding. It's a perfect dessert for Thanksgiving!