Peanut Butter Mousse Chocolate Cake - rich and moist chocolate cake with creamy peanut butter mousse that melt's in your mouth!
This cake has been long time in the making. Last year, I shared a recipe for a chocolate mousse for two. This year, it's time for a peanut butter mousse. And it is fantastic! Especially paired with my favorite chocolate cake, because we all know that peanut butter and chocolate love to be paired together.
This cake satisfies the PB & chocolate cravings with it's rich and decadent flavor and perfect texture. The cake layer is my favorite chocolate cake and the peanut butter mousse is like the best frosting ever!
And isn't it gorgeous too? It would be perfect for a special celebration, like a birthday, anniversary or Valentine's Day. Or simply to share with others just because!
Let me just say that this cake was gone in one day! I shared half of it with family and friends and the other half was devoured by us. Gone!
Mousse (be it chocolate, peanut butter or fruit) is so easy to eat! It's so easy to make and the hardest part is to wait for it to set. Each and every bite is a pure bliss! This mousse melts in your mouth and is so delicious! I wanted the mousse to really shine in this dessert so I cut the cake recipe in half. It's just supposed to be the crust and the chocolate layer. It worked perfectly!
Peanut Butter Mousse Chocolate Cake
- ¾ cup all-purpose flour
- ½ cup granulated sugar
- ½ teaspoon baking soda
- ½ teaspoon salt
- 5 Tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
- ¼ cup vegetable oil
- ½ cup water
- ½ teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1.5 teaspoon apple cider or red wine vinegar
- ¾ cup creamy peanut butter
- 1 cup powdered sugar
- 2 Tablespoons milk
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream whipped to a stiff peaks
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- chocolate sauce or melted chocolate
- chopped peanuts
- Preheat the oven to 350 degrees F.
- Grease and flour an 8" round springform pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together the dry ingredients (flour, sugar, baking soda, salt and cocoa powder).
- Add oil, water, extract and vinegar to the dry ingredients and whisk until smooth.
- Pour the batter into the prepared pan. Tap the pan against the countertop to release the air bubbles.
- Bake the cake for 22 to 25 minutes or until the toothpick (or uncooked spaghetti noodle) inserted in few places comes out clean.
- Let the cake cool in the pan set on a cutting board. Run a knife or an offset spatula around the cake. Do not open the springform pan. Cool cake completely before topping with mousse.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat peanut butter until fluffy, about 1 minute.
- Add sifted powdered sugar and vanilla.
- Add milk and mix in well.
- Add ⅓ of the whipped cream and mix in with an electric mixer, just until incorporated.
- Fold the rest of the whipped cream with a rubber spatula. Gently fold until no white streaks remain.
- Spread the mousse over the cake layer. Smooth out with an offset spatula.
- Place the cake in the fridge for at least 3 hours, (preferably overnight) so the mousse cane set.
- Decorate the cake with melted chocolate and chopped nuts.
Peanut Butter Mousse recipes from other bloggers:
Chocolate Peanut Butter Mousse Tarts from Handle the Heat
Peanut Butter Mousse with Chocolate Cookie Crumble from The Little Kitchen
Peanut Butter Mousse Cups from the RecipeGirl
Peanut Butter Mousse Pie from Shugary Sweets
Hazel Zaini says
You said you cut the cake recipe in half. What if I wanted to make the full cake recipe, how long would it take in the oven? And would you use the same size pan?
Jerri Goffe says
also you mention a crust - I don't see the ingredients or directions for the crust.
Jerri Goffe says
When do you remove the rim of the springform pan? Do you ever take the cake off of the springform base or serve it on the pan?
That peanut butter mousse looks divine, an incredible cake!
This is the prettiest cake I've ever seen! And you can't go wrong with chocolate and PB!
This looks totally incredible! Love the peanut butter and chocolate combo!
My husband would swoon if I made this for him!
This is the kind of cake that my kids would want as a birthday cake. What a spectacular creation!
This looks great!
Oh yum. This cake is everything I want and need in life 🙂
OH. MY. GOSH. I want that now!
This cake looks amazing! My daughter's birthday is coming up and she has requested a chocolate cake. I'm pretty sure a peanut butter mousse would be a big hit!
This cake needs me & I need it now!!
Loving your Peanut Butter Mousse Chocolate Cake, Anna! This is the perfect cake for peanut butter and chocolate lovers. Mmm! Thanks so much for sharing. Pinning! xo