Creamy and Cheesy Broccoli and Corn Casserole – fantastic family friendly dish that is bound to become a hit in your house!
As soon as I tasted this dish – I knew I will be sharing it here on the blog. I couldn’t wait for it because it’s so so good! You simply have to make it!
We are talking broccoli and corn baked in cheesy sauce under a crunchy topping. How can you say no to that? Well, you can’t! 🙂
This casserole is a great side to a grilled or baked chicken. Or eat is as is for a vegetarian meal. Either way, this will be a hit, especially with kids. My little ones loved it! My Hubby said you can never go wrong with cheese and broccoli! 🙂 As you can see, I will be making this dish again. Many times!
Let’s talk about how this casserole comes together. It’s good to get the broccoli arranged in the dish before you make the sauce. Simple steps like that make cooking easier. Pour the cheery corn sauce over the broccoli. Top it all with a crunchy topping (I used a mix of breadcrumbs and crushed potato chips but you can also use crushed crackers) and bake or refrigerate until ready to bake. Even overnight!
One thing to remember – if you decide to refrigerate the casserole before baking, do not add the topping or it will get soggy. Add it right before placing the dish in the oven.
If you remember this Pepper Jack Mac recipe, you know I mentioned a super simple sauce that every home cook should know. It appears in this dish as well. In the end we add the corn to it and then pour the cheesy creamy goodness over the broccoli.
Now dig in!!
Creamy and Cheesy Broccoli and Corn Casserole
- 20 oz broccoli florets I used two bunches and trimmed them
- 15 oz can of whole kernel corn drained
- 2 Tablespoon salted butter
- ¼ cup chopped onion
- 1 clove garlic minced (optional)
- 1 ¼ cup milk
- 1 Tablespoon cornstarch or 2 Tbsp all-purpose flour
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- ½ cup breadcrumbs and crushed chips mix
- 1 ½ Tablespoon butter melted
- salt and pepper to taste
- Lightly grease a 8"x12" casserole dish or a 2qt baking dish.
- Arrange broccoli florets in the dish. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together milk and cornstarch.
- In a large saucepan, melt butter. Add onion and sautee until soft, about 2 minutes.
- Gradually, add the milk mixture to the onions. Whisk after each addition. Let the sauce thicken before adding more milk. Repeat until you use all the milk.
- Add the cheese and stir until melted.
- Add the corn and stir until coated with sauce.
- Pour the cheesy corn sauce over the broccoli.
- Preheat the oven to 375 degrees F.
- In a small measuring cup, mix melted butter and breadcrumb mix.
- Sprinkle over the casserole.
- Bake for 25 to 27 minutes, or until the topping is golden brown and the casserole is bubbling.
- Let sit for 10 minutes before serving.
- Refrigerate any leftovers for up to 2 days.
- I like using cornstarch in sauces as it makes them smooth and it's easier to work with than flour.
- Please note, that the nutrition value can vary depending on what product you use. The information below is an estimate. Always use calorie counter you are familiar with.