Cook’s Illustrated Chewy Brownies taste and look like from the box. They are easy to whip up and are sure to satisfy your chocolate cravings!
COOK’S ILLUSTRATED CHEWY BROWNIES
I have to confess, I was both excited and apprehensive to try this recipe. Excited, because there is “chewy” and “cook’s illustrated” in the name. Apprehensive, because there is “cook’s illustrated” in the name. Which means that these brownies could be perfect and I could end my search right now. And I am not ready to do that just yet.
Just look at it! Crackly top, chewy center, lots and lots of chocolate! Are you melting already? Then wait because there is another plus to this recipe. It comes together really quickly and you only need one bowl and a whisk. No bain marie, no mixer, no vigorous whisking until your hand falls off.
COOL BROWNIES BEFORE SLICING
Then there is the hard part….. Waiting for them to cool. And they need to cool completely for the ultimate chewiness. Even though warm brownies are sooo goood, it is recommended to let them come to room temperature or they will be a mess to pull out of the pan. Then again, who will judge you if you just eat them straight out of the pan.
What I learned about brownie while researching this recipe:
– the texture of brownies depends on a combination of saturated and unsaturated fats ( hence the combination of butter and oil, but also chocolate )
– egg yolks prevent the excessive greasiness of the finished product
– if you are baking in a glass dish it is recommended to cool the brownies in pan for only 10 minutes and then remove to wire rack to cool completely; this prevents brownies from further baking and drying out
I have to say, these brownies taste and look as if you made them from the box. They are easy to mix together and chewy.
MORE BROWNIES RECIPES:
COOK’S ILLUSTRATED CHEWY BROWNIES RECIPE:
- 1/3 c unsweetened cocoa powder
- 1/2 c + 2 Tbsp boiling water
- 2 oz . unsweetened chocolate chopped
- 1/4 c unsalted butter melted, 1/2 stick
- 1/2 c + 2 Tbsp vegetable oil
- 2 large eggs
- 2 large egg yolks
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 2 1/2 c granulated sugar
- 1 3/4 c flour
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 4 oz . semi-sweet chocolate chunks
- Adjust oven rack to lowest position.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees F.
- Line 9"x13" pan with aluminum foil. Spray with cooking spray. Set aside.
- In a medium mixing bowl, whisk together cocoa powder and boiling water. Add chocolate and whisk until melted.
- Add melted butter and oil and whisk again.
- Add eggs, egg yolks and vanilla and whisk until smooth.
- Whisk in granulated sugar until incorporated.
- With a rubber spatula, fold in the flour, salt and chocolate chunks.
- Scrape the batter into prepared pan and smooth out the top.
- Bake for 40 minutes. Do not over bake.
- Cool completely in the pan. Remove from pan and cut into squares.
It is recommended to cool brownies completely before cutting for the ultimate chewiness and cleaner cuts.