Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes Recipe – scalloped potatoes cooked in the digital pressure cooker, with creamy garlic sauce and cheesy topping. Perfect dish for holiday dinners!
If you are looking for a potato side dish that’s just a little bit more exciting that plain mashed potatoes, you are going to love these Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes with a creamy sauce and cheesy topping. This dish cooks faster in the digital pressure cooker and all it needs is just a few minutes under the broiler to melt the cheese. It’s a perfect time saver for your next holiday dinner!
HOW TO MAKE SCALLOPED POTATOES IN THE INSTANT POT?
Cooking scalloped potatoes in the Instant Pot is as easy as making the mashed version. Simply slice potatoes thin, cover with water, add minced garlic, salt and dried herbs and cook on high pressure for 4 minutes. When done, drain the potatoes and arrange in a butter dish (the same you will be serving them in), alternating with shredded cheese layers. Make the quick sauce in the Instant Pot on the saute setting, pour over potatoes, top with more shredded cheese and broil. Or if you are making this dish ahead of time, do not top with cheese but cool it completely, cover with saran wrap and refrigerate until ready. Let it come to room temperature before broiling.
The success to this dish is to slice the potatoes thin but not too thin. The slices should not be folding when you cut the potato with a knife, but stand firmly. The thickness should be about 1/4″. If you cut the potatoes too thin, they will fall apart as you drain the water and spoon the potatoes into the dish. If that happens, it’s better to just mash them or if you don’t mind they won’t have the visible disk shapes, proceed with the recipe. They will still be delicious!
MORE INSTANT POT RECIPES FOR SIDE DISHES:
Instant Pot Sweet Potatoes recipe with a bonus shortcut!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
–>> Follow me on Pinterest, Facebook and Instagram for latest recipe updates!
If you like this recipe and make it, snap a photo and share it on INSTAGRAM! Tag me @crunchycreamysweet so I can check it out and leave a comment! 😀
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance!
INSTANT POT SCALLOPED POTATOES
More Instant Pot recipes: www.crunchycreamysweet.com
- 2 lbs russet potatoes
- 4 cups water
- 2 teaspoons minced garlic
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon dried herbs thyme, dill, etc.
- 1 cup half and half
- 1/2 tablespoon cornstarch
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- 1/2 teaspoon minced garlic
- 1 cup shredded Monterey Jack cheese
- Make sure the stainless steel insert is in the Instant Pot.
- Peel the potatoes and slice thin. (see note)
- Add potato slices to stainless steel insert, add minced garlic, salt and herbs. Add enough water to just cover the potatoes.
- Place lid on your Instant Pot, turn the valve to "sealing" position and press the "manual" button. Adjust time to 4 minutes. The Instant Pot will beep and start coming to pressure. It may take about 12 minutes to do that.
- In the meantime, butter a 2 quart baking dish and set aside.
- When the time is done, the Instant Pot will beep. Press "cancel/off" button. Carefully turn the valve to "venting" position. When done, carefully remove the lid away from your face.
- Drain the potatoes discarding the water. Spoon the potato slices on the bottom of the prepared baking dish. Sprinkle with a little bit of cheese. Arrange another layer of potatoes and cheese. Repeat until you used all potatoes but keep some cheese for the final topping.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together half and half and cornstarch. Add salt and pepper. Whisk.
- You don't have to wash the stainless steel insert, just make sure the outside of it is dry and not wet from draining the potatoes. Place the insert back in the Instant Pot.
- Add garlic to the IP insert.
- Press "saute" button on your Instant Pot. When the garlic starts to saute, stir it a few times and cook for a minutes. Add half and half and cornstarch mixture and cook, stirring constantly with a wooden spoon. Cook just until the sauce thickens.
- Pour the sauce over potatoes.
- Top potatoes with remaining cheese.
- Broil in your oven just until the cheese melts.
- Garnish with chopped parsley before serving.
The cooking time includes the time it takes the Instant Pot to come to pressure (for me it was about 12 minutes) and the time to cook the sauce.
The success to this dish is to slice the potatoes thin but not too thin. The slices should not be folding when you cut the potato with a knife, but stand firmly. The thickness should be about 1/4". If you cut the potatoes too thin, they will fall apart as you drain the water and spoon the potatoes into the dish. If that happens, it's better to just mash them or if you don't mind they won't have the visible disk shapes, proceed with the recipe. They will still be delicious!
It is not recommended to cook creamy sauce dishes in the Instant Pot, that's why I decided to not use the pot-in-pot method. I prefer to cook the potatoes first, then make the sauce and broil in the oven just so the cheese melts. You can also just cover the dish with a inverted plate or a sheet of aluminum foil right after sprinkling it with cheese and while the dish is still hot. The cheese will still melt.
Today, I am teaming up with a group of talented bloggers to bring you our Easter recipes you can make in the Instant Pot! Check them out!
Instant Pot White Chocolate Lemon Bar Cheesecake – Tidbits-Marci
Instant Pot Cheesy Hash Brown Casserole –Pressure Cooking Today
Instant Pot French Toast Casserole – Happy Healthy Mama
Instant Pot Bluberry French Toast Bake – Oh, Sweet Basil
Instant Pot Corn Casserole Recipe – The Typical Mom
Instant Pot Baked Potatoes – Self Proclaimed Foodie
Instant Pot Cheddar Bacon Mashed Potatoes 365 Days of Slow Cooking and Pressure Cooking
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes – Crunchy Creamy Sweet
Instant Pot Carrot Cake – Instant Pot Eats
Instant Pot Scalloped Potatoes – Your Homebased Mom
Instant Pot Ham with Homemade Glaze – Oh So Delicioso
Instant Pot Potatoes Au Gratin – Bite of Delight
Instant Pot Creamy Chicken and Pasta – The Butter Half
Instant Pot Lamb Biryani – Paint the Kitchen Red