Avocado Egg Salad Recipe – lighter egg salad with avocado, red onion and creamy dressing without mayo! Perfect for sandwiches or as appetizer.
This Avocado Egg Salad is my new favorite twist on the classic dish. I added avocados and crunchy red onion and lightened up the dressing by replacing mayonnaise with natural sour cream and lemon juice. Season with dill, salt, pepper and freshly chopped parsley and you have a delicious egg salad for sandwiches, wraps or to serve with baguette slices.
You can enjoy your favorite egg salad with just a few additions and substitutions and no sacrifice in flavor. Tasty, filling and so easy to make, this Avocado Egg Salad is bound to become a family favorite.
HOW TO MAKE HEALTHIER EGG SALAD?
To make the classic egg salad healthier, forget the mayo. You can still have a creamy egg salad without it. Simply use natural sour cream. It is similar in texture to Greek yogurt and as creamy as mayo. Next, add healthy fat like avocados and red onion for texture and crunch. You can also use celery instead of onion. This egg salad is delicious and perfect for sandwiches or served on baguette slices.
My favorite way to cook eggs for egg salad is to use my Instant Pot digital pressure cooker. My 6-minute method works every single time and the eggs peel like a breeze.
HOW TO MAKE SALAD DRESSING WITHOUT MAYO?
My favorite way to make a creamy salad dressing without mayonnaise, is to mix natural sour cream with lemon juice, salt, pepper, dill and chopped parsley. It is perfect for egg salads, potato salads or as a substitute for store-bought ranch dressing. Simply, whisk together sour cream, lemon juice and and spices and pour over the salad ingredients.
CRAVING MORE? Try these delicious and easy SALAD RECIPES:
BLT Avocado Egg Salad from Spend with Pennies
Egg Salad with Tuna and Sweet Pickles from Reluctant Entertainer
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 5 hard boiled eggs
- 2 avocados
- 1/2 red onion chopped
- 1/2 cup natural sour cream
- 3 tablespoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- 1/2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1/4 teaspoon fresh ground black pepper
- 3/4 teaspoons dried or fresh dill
- 1 tablespoon freshly chopped parsley
- Roughly chop hard boiled eggs and place in large mixing bowl. Chop avocados and add to eggs. Add red onion.
- In a measuring cup, whisk together natural sour cream, lemon juice, salt, pepper and herbs.
- Pour dressing over salad ingredients and stir gently to coat.
- Serve immediately or refrigerate in a bowl covered with saran wrap. Make sure each avocado pieces is covered with dressing so they won't brown.
- Serve as sandwiches, wraps or with baguette slices.
You can use chopped celery instead of red onion in this salad. It adds nice crunchy texture.