Instant Pot Mac and Cheese Recipe – the easiest way to make creamy and cheesy macaroni! Made with real ingredients right in you pressure cooker!
Forget the box mac and make this Instant Pot Mac and Cheese with real ingredients, real cheese in just 10 minutes. This is the fastest and fail-proof way to make this classic dish that the whole family will love. The Instant Pot pressure cooker wins again! This mac and cheese could not be easier to make. Even my 11 year-old can make it!
INSTANT POT MAC AND CHEESE
This recipe is perfect for busy weeknights or simply when you are craving comfort food. You can jazz up this mac by adding steamed vegetables or cooked meat.
HOW TO MAKE MAC AND CHEESE IN PRESSURE COOKER
- To cook mac and cheese in your pressure cooker, place 2 cups of elbow macaroni, chicken stock, water, nutmeg, salt and butter in the IP insert. Close the lid, set valve to “sealing” and press “manual”. Adjust timer to 5 minutes. I timed how long it takes for my IP to come to pressure and it was 7 minutes. The pressure cooker will start cooking. When done, quickly release the pressure.
- Open lid carefully, away from your face. Stir the macaroni. Add evaporated milk and stir well. Add cheese, 1/2 cup at a time until you reach desired consistency. I used 1 cup of shredded mild cheddar ( sharp cheddar is too chalky in my opinion ) and 1/2 cup of mozzarella. You can use Gruyere in place of mozzarella but I tried to keep this recipe simple and it is easier to find mozzarella cheese than Gruyere in the store.
- Serve or place in baking dish, top with breadcrumb topping if desired and place under broiler to toast it up.
MORE DELICIOUS MAC AND CHEESE RECIPES:
Healthier Mac and Cheese ( with cauliflower Alfredo sauce )
MORE INSTANT POT PASTA RECIPES:
Check out my Instant Pot Guide for Beginners, filled with all the info you need to get started with your new appliance!
INSTANT POT MAC AND CHEESE RECIPE:
The easiest way to make creamy and cheesy macaroni! Made with real ingredients right in you pressure cooker!
More recipes for pressure cooker: www.crunchycreamysweet.com
- 2 cups elbow macaroni uncooked
- 1 tablespoon unsalted butter
- 1/8 tsp ground nutmeg
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 cup chicken stock low-sodium
- 1 cup water
- 1 12 oz. can evaporated milk
- 1.5 cup shredded mild cheddar cheese
- 1 cup shredded mozzarella cheese
- 1/4 tsp ground black pepper
Place macaroni, butter, nutmeg, salt, stock and water in Instant Pot insert. Close the lid. Set valve to "sealing" position.
Press "manual" button. Set timer to 5 minutes. Make sure your Instant Pot is set to high pressure. The pressure cooker will take about 7 minutes to come to pressure and start cooking.
- When the IP beeps, press "cancel/off" button and switch the valve carefully to quickly release the pressure. Open lid carefully, away from your face.
- Stir macaroni.
- Add milk to macaroni and stir well.
- Add cheese, half of a cup at a time, until you reach desired consistency. See notes.
- You can serve mac immediately or bake in a dish with breadcrumb topping, if desired.
The cooking time includes the time my IP took to come to pressure: 7 minutes.
You can use Gruyere cheese in place of mozzarella cheese.
I prefer the mild cheddar in mac and cheese because I find the sharp cheddar too chalky for my taste. Feel free to use what you like.
Add 1/2 cup of cheese at a time until you reach desired consistency. I used 1 cup of cheddar and 1/2 cup of mozzarella.
To jazz it up, you can add steamed vegetables like broccoli, cauliflower, corn, carrots and peas or shredded cooked chicken or ground cooked turkey.
Check out my Amazon List for more product recommendations, like additional accessories for the Instant Pot! ( this is an affiliate link).
Disclosure: This post contains affiliate link.