Honey Roasted Butternut Squash Recipe – sweet and spiced butternut squash roasted in the oven with honey and cinnamon. Perfect side dish for the holidays!
Roasting vegetables is my favorite way to turn them into delicious side dishes. It’s simple, easy and the roasting brings out the best flavors. This Honey Roasted Butternut Squash is just that. Sweet, spiced and each bite melts in your mouth. Perfect side dish for the holidays and special occasion dinners!
HOW TO ROAST BUTTERNUT SQUASH
There are two ways of preparing butternut squash for roasting in the oven. It all depends on what you will use it for. For mashed squash or smooth soup, cut butternut squash in half lenghtwise, drizzle with olive oil and season with salt and pepper. Roast in the oven until soft. Then scoop out the flesh and use in your dish. For my recipe, I cut off the ends of the squash, peeled the skin off and cut the vegetable into 1″ cubes. Then drizzle with olive oil, honey, season with salt and cinnamon, place on a large baking sheet and roast in the oven for 35 minutes or until soft.
I highly recommend using parchment paper or silicone baking mat for roasting vegetables, like the butternut squash. I don’t like using aluminum foil for many reasons, but also because it easily rips. No one wants pieces of foil in their dish.
The butternut squash does not dry out. It cooks into soft, melt-in-your-mouth bites that are both sweet and spiced. I love sprinkling ground cloves over the finished dish while it’s still warm and serve it with roasted chicken or braised pork chops.
Hungry for more? Check out our recipe for a healthy Alfredo sauce made with butternut squash! You can also use half of butternut squash to make the sauce and roast the other half. That’s two dishes from one vegetable!
MORE DELICIOUS RECIPES WITH BUTTERNUT SQUASH:
Beef Stew with Butternut Squash from FoodieCrush – the ultimate comfort food for chilly winter days!
Southwest Black Bean Stuffed Butternut Squash from Tidy Mom – meatless dinner idea with a ton of flavor!
Copycat Panera Squash Soup from Rachel Cooks – your restaurant favorite made at home!
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
- 3 lb butternut squash
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1/2 teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- Preheat oven to 400 degrees F.
- Line a large baking sheet with parchment paper or silicone baking mat. Set aside.
- Cut off the ends of the squash. Cut the vegetable in half. Peel off the skin.
- Slice squash into 1" thick slices, then cut each one into 1" cubes.
- Place squash into a bowl, drizzle with olive oil and honey. Season with salt and cinnamon. Toss to coat. Spread quash in a single layer in the prepared baking pan.
- Roast in the oven for 35 to 40 minutes, rotating the pans half way, if needed. Bake until tender.
- When done, remove from oven and place in a serving dish.
- Use immediately or refrigerate until ready to use.
This roasted butternut squash is the best eaten the same day.
MORE ROASTED VEGETABLE RECIPES: