Chocolate Pumpkin Cake Recipe – quick and easy pumpkin spiced chocolate cake with two-ingredient chocolate ganache topping.
This post is sponsored by Stevia In The Raw®.
Pumpkin spice and chocolate make for a delicious combo in fall desserts and this cake is the proof. Soft, fluffy, moist and with less sugar and calories thanks to Stevia In The Raw®.
This cake is quick and easy to make and doesn’t require the use of a mixer. Just whisk everything together in a bowl and bake. The two-ingredient ganache is the perfect topping for this cake.
HOW TO MAKE CHOCOLATE CAKE WITH STEVIA IN THE RAW
Stevia In The Raw® is a zero-calorie sweetener and perfect for baking. It is an extract from the sweet leaves of the stevia plant. The Stevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag is formulated so the sweetness of 1 cup matches the sweetness of 1 cup of regular sugar. When baking with Stevia In The Raw® Bakers Bag, it is recommended that you use approximately half Stevia and half sugar to get the proper rising, browning and caramelizing that only sugar can provide. I replaced the white sugar in this recipe with Stevia and kept the brown sugar. The cake came out soft and perfectly sweet, without being too rich and without the extra sugar and calories.
For this cake, I used my favorite pumpkin cake recipe but made it into a chocolate version by adding cocoa powder and chocolate chips. Simply whisk dry ingredients together in a mixing bowl. Stir wet ingredients in a large measuring cup and add to the dry mix. Whisk the batter until smooth and pour into pan. Bake until toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
The chocolate ganache is made of chocolate chips and heated up heavy cream. I always prefer ganache over sugar and butter frosting. It’s silky and delicious. It really complements the cake well.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR PINTEREST BOARD!
SHARE ON FACEBOOK
PUMPKIN CHOCOLATE CAKE
- 1 cup all-purpose flour
- 1/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder
- 3/4 teaspoon baking powder
- 1/2 teaspoon baking soda
- 1/4 cup packed brown sugar
- 1/2 cup Stevia In The Raw Bakers Bag
- 1/4 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon pure vanilla extract
- 1 and 1/4 teaspoon pumpkin spice
- 1/2 cup pumpkin puree not pie filling
- 1 large egg
- 1/4 cup vegetable oil
- 1/3 cup plus 1 tablespoon buttermilk see note
- 1/2 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips
- 1/4 cup heavy cream
- 1 cup semi-sweet chocolate chips see note
- Preheat oven to 350 degree F. Line a 8" square baking pan with parchment paper. Set aside.
- In a large mixing bowl, whisk together flour, cocoa powder, baking powder, baking soda, brown sugar, Stevia, salt and pumpkin spice. Stir in chocolate chips.
- In a large measuring cup, whisk together pumpkin puree, vanilla, egg, oil and buttermilk. Add to dry ingredients and whisk until batter is smooth. Pour batter into prepared pan. Tap gently against the counter to release any air bubbles.
- Bake in pre-heated oven for 28 to 32 minutes or until the top of cake is dry and the toothpick inserted in the center of the cake comes out clean.
- Cool completely in pan.
- Heat up cream in measuring cup, in microwave. Do not boil.
- Place chocolate chips in a small mixing bowl. Pour cream over chips. Let stand for a few minutes. Stir until smooth.
- Cool slightly, then pour over cake. Spread evenly. Cool completely. The ganache will set.
Serving is one piece per person.
If you don't have buttermilk on hand, simply mix 2 teaspoons of apple cider vinegar with 1/3 cup plus 1 teaspoon of half and half or whole milk. Let sit to sour, then use in recipe.
I recommend semi-sweet chocolate chips for the ganache as the flavor will complement the cake better than milk chocolate chips.
Disclosure: This post is sponsored by Stevia In The Raw®. All text, photos and opinions are 100% my own.