Slow Cooker Chicken Wild Rice Soup Recipe – creamy and filling soup with chicken, wild rice and vegetables. Quick to prepare and cook in your slow cooker!
It’s January! A new year and new resolutions. Eating healthier is definitely one of them but let’s be honest. I will not make it this month if all I am supposed to eat is salads. I need a hearty and filling food.
Like this Chicken and Wild Rice Soup. Packed with vegetables, chicken and rice it’s a perfect meal for a cold winter day. All I need to do is place everything in a slow cooker and let it do it’s work. After a few hours, thicken the soup with milk and cornstarch mixture to make it creamy and even more delicious.
This soup is good for you and for your soul. Thick and creamy soups are my and my family’s favorite. This one is packed with chicken, wild rice (although just long grain rice will work fine too), carrots, celery and onion. I think mushrooms would be a great addition but my kiddos don’t like them in soups so I skipped them.
I use my slow cooker every week and having it filled with a delicious soup is what I love during the cold months. It’s such a comfort to come home after running errands or playing in the snow to a bowl full of hot and filling soup.
PIN THIS RECIPE TO YOUR SLOW COOKER BOARD!
CLICK HERE TO SHARE ON FACEBOOK.
- 3/4 cup wild rice uncooked
- 1 lb chicken breast
- 3/4 cup chopped carrots
- 1/2 cup chopped yellow onion
- 2 cloves garlic minced
- 3/4 cup chopped celery
- 4 cups chicken broth
- 3 cups water
- 1 teaspoon Italian seasoning
- 2 Tablespoons butter
- 1/4 cup cornstarch
- 2 cups milk or half and half
- Add chicken, vegetables, rice and seasoning to slow cooker. Add chicken broth and water. Cover and cook for 4 to 5 hours on HIGH setting or 7 to 8 hours on LOW setting.
- When chicken is done, remove from slow cooker onto a plate. Shred. Return to slow cooker.
- In a saucepan, melt butter. Add milk and cornstarch. Whisk and cook until thickens, about 7 minutes. Add mixture to soup in slow cooker and stir well. Add more water if needed.
- Serve soup with crusty bread or croutons. Garnish with fresh chopped parsley.